Need Help!

Decorating By priyak Updated 7 Jul 2014 , 8:51am by TheNerdyBaker

priyak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
priyak Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 10:00am
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone,

I am fairly a newbie in cake decoration and all you wonderful decorators have inspired me immensely.

Yesterday I tried to make a fresh fruit cake using Vanilla sponge layered it with butter cream (my first attempt at making it myself) and fresh fruits. The vanilla sponge was wonderful but I didn't taste the icing. It was a disaster. Fortunately or unfortunately I have only lightly crumb coated the cake. The cake is lying in the freezer. Is there any way to salvage the cake? Also please share a fool proof & tasty (not very sweet) butter cream recipe. Pls let me know if & how I can save the cake.

3 replies
Lunita13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lunita13 Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 6:28am
post #2 of 4

Hi Priyak. What was wrong with the butter cream? Was it just too sweet, or was there something else wrong with it too? Was this an American butter cream recipe, or a Swiss meringue butter cream? I have tried some really good butter cream recipes but I would have to know more detail about what you are looking for. You could probably just try scraping off the old frosting and re-frosting your cake. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 8:36am
post #3 of 4

Welcome to the forum!  We need more information.  Since this is an international forum, it is helpful to know which country (or State in the USA) where you are located. Since you used the word "sponge", I'm assuming you are in a UK type country.

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 8:51am
post #4 of 4

If you are looking for a "Dump & Go" type of frosting, they all tend to be on the sweeter side (American Style Buttercream/ABC) since it is basically just soft butter and a ton of powdered sugar.

If you want something a tad more refined (but still super duper easy) you should try your hand at Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC).  It is smooth as silk, not overly sweet, and when flavored, it always reminds me of a premium ice cream in flavor.

Take this tutorial for a spin, it is by FromScratchSF now known as BeyondButtercream.  She is a flippin' genius when it comes to cake.  I have a cake crush on her.

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

One small thing.  I personally up the sugar in the recipe to 10oz, and even occasionally add in a small amount of powdered sugar to the final product in order to get it (forgive the pun) to the sweet spot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%