When To Quilt A Dummy Cake?

Decorating By pamalbake Updated 25 Jun 2014 , 2:43pm by Foamguy

pamalbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamalbake Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 5:28am
post #1 of 7

Do I need to quilt the dummy cake after I apply the fondant or do I need to let the fondant dry/set for a while? I plan to brush the dummy with water, then apply fondant.

I have never covered a dummy cake with fondant before. 

6 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 5:50am
post #2 of 7

AYou want to quilt it's fresh, right after you've covered it. It's going to be a bit tricky because the dummy cake is light and will move around.

Also it's a lot easier for me to cover the dummy with shortening instead of water. The water makes my fondant kind of gummy and I don't like that

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 5:58am
post #3 of 7

Hello pamalbake!!! I just went through this last week. I got a lot of help from very generous ladies of CC.Pls take some time to read this post   http://cakecentral.com/t/777095/cake-dumies-fake-i-need-help

I hope it helps you, it sure was lots ofr help for me.

Good luck!

Ciao

P.S. To answer your question, I quilted right after covering dummy cake with fondant. 

pamalbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamalbake Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 7

AThank you! That's a big help. Can I reuse the dummy afterwards? Do you just scrape off the shortening? Or will it not come clean and I would just need to toss it?

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 7

good morning! As I have read, yes you can reuse it. I imagine that you take the fondant out and would just clean it with a paper towel, I would not use water, the foam might absorb it. I never asked about it because cake dummies were not mine, my friend bought it. If you have more questions about it, I would Google for info " how to clean cake dummies"   

HTH

CIAO!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 7

I rub the dummy down with shortening and when I want to clean it, I peel off the fondant and wash the dummy in hot water & soap.  If it's small enough, you can put it in the dishwasher with air dry.

Foamguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foamguy Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 7

It also depends on how many times the dummy was used, because they sometimes tend to wear down. If you need more, I buy mine in bulk from buyfoamblocks.com they are different quantities you can get. I go through a lot of them so its nice to have some extras! :smile:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%