Cardboard Separators

Decorating By tdbabes Updated 25 Jun 2014 , 5:50pm by -K8memphis

tdbabes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdbabes Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 10

I am making three two to three layer cakes and want to use the cardboard separators between the layers.  The lady who wants the cakes, does not like fondant, so I am using a shortening based frosting.  Will the shortening cause the cardboard to get soggy?  I plan to stack them about an hour before the event, but it may be a couple of hours before they are cut into.  I'm also trying to factor in 95 degree heat the same day.

9 replies
mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 10

Try wrapping the cardboard in tinfoil, it will prevent the cardboard from absorbing the moisture from the cake!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 10

AAre you just referring to the cardboard rounds some people use underneath each tierrof cake? Probably not necessary to cover with anything, and I definitely wouldn't use tinfoil, wouldn't want little shreds to potentially come up with a slice of cake.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 12:03am
post #4 of 10

AI'm sure there's something I'm missing. But why are people always worried about soggy cardboard? I have never had a problem with this...or maybe I have and just haven't noticed.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 1:42am
post #5 of 10

^this.  it's just not an issue.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

I'm sure there's something I'm missing. But why are people always worried about soggy cardboard? I have never had a problem with this...or maybe I have and just haven't noticed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

^this.  it's just not an issue.

Yup, you can get coated rounds, but there is no need to cover the cardboard. You're talking about endless wasted hours...

tdbabes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdbabes Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you for replying.  The last cake I made for this family melted under the heat of the day.  I have heard of the cardboard getting soggy and I don't want to give this family another bad cake.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdbabes 

I have heard of the cardboard getting soggy...

Perhaps because some people actually cut rounds out of the sides of cardboard boxes to use...really. But with specific cake cardboard rounds it should not be a problem. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 10

Oh I've seen references to people saving pizza delivery boxes, even DIAPER boxes to cut their rounds from.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 10

if cardboards ever do get soggy it's from the moisture of the cake, not the icing, and it would take longer than a couple hours to soak them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%