How Do I Get My Buttercream Not Bubble On Sides

Decorating By ja9scakes Updated 16 Aug 2014 , 1:23pm by kiimmmyy

ja9scakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ja9scakes Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 3

AI have been baking for a little while now and I've come into this problem where after I've put smooth beautiful buttercream on my cake, I put the cake in the fridge to cool and crust and then when I take it out the sides have bubbled out. I can't figure out why this is happening. I make my cakes the night before I decorate them and it's still occurring. Here is a picture of one I just did this weekend [IMG][IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3253920/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/IMG]

2 replies
bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 3

Are you allowing your cakes to settle after you fill them?

kiimmmyy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiimmmyy Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 3

I used to get this when I started. The butter cream is to thick (as in amount you fill with) and soft. I now make more layers and thinner butter cream. Ganache never does this but I layer and crumb coat then pop in the fridge (if needed). I also always work on a frozen cake. I try to work fast to get it covered because the whole point of freezing is keeping the cake moist. So very often the butter cream is setting up as I go.

I go by touch of my butter cream and have no recipe as such. Shortening is great at keeping things sturdy. There are full shortening recipe's out there but I never like to do this unless I have lots of fresh sloppy fruit going into the mix, but I have only done this a very few times. I think it's the idea of it that I can't get my head around. Butter is just more yummy. If I know I have a soft filling I will also do a ganache or stiff butter cream ring around the edge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%