Gluten Free Cake Mixes

Decorating By custard79 Updated 7 Jul 2014 , 5:20pm by customcakesbysa

custard79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
custard79 Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 1:37am
post #1 of 8

AHas anyone tried a gluten free boxed caked mix and doctored it with a box of pudding, and an extra egg have any success? Are the boxed GF mixes even any good? I'm new to GF baking and was asked to make a GF cake and am total lost.

7 replies
Sammy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy09 Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 2:45am
post #2 of 8

ATry Little Black Birds GF choc cake recipe from scratch. She's awesome.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 8

The betty crocker mix, just as listed on the box, is pretty good as is. I wouldn't mess with it unless you REALLY plan to get "in to it". My niece is GF, so I tried it for her.

Had tried GF baking before, but stocking a pantry with all the strange ingredients is really expensive. 

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 8

AIs this for someone with celiac? Be sure to check that the pudding mix is GF too.

customcakesbysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcakesbysa Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 8

You really need to know if your baking for someone who is GF because of health issues (wheat allergy or celiac).  If so, you also have to worry about cross contamination and many other issues - you'll have to run all pans, bowls, & utensils through the dishwasher (even though they're already clean) and wash down your mixer so there's no residual flour / gluten on it.  You'll also have to open new packages of anything that might've been contaminated by flour from previous baking - shortening, etc.  If there's any chance that a bit of flour snuck in there (like flour dust on a utensil) it could make someone with an allergy or celiac very sick.

I've tried the box mixes by Betty Crocker - the yellow is pretty dry & not that great.  The chocolate is good.  However, the Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten Free has a fix for the box mixes that makes the yellow just as good as any non-GF mix I've ever had.  She adds 1/4 c pudding mix.

Double check that the brand of pudding mix you get is GF, as well as the vanilla you're using is pure vanilla extract.  Also, how do you prep your pans?  If you use a dusting of flour, you'll have to use white rice flour.  Wilton Cake Release is GF and works great.

custard79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
custard79 Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 3:01am
post #6 of 8

AThanks everyone. I tried the Betty Crocker chocolate GF mix and it's not bad, I also tried a store brand vanilla from my local store and found the taste ok but texture a little chewy.

Gracebake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gracebake Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 8

Can you safely use cook- n -serve pudding mix in the BC gluten free cake mix? I only use organic cook n serve pudding so that's all I have on hand.

customcakesbysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcakesbysa Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 8

A[RIGHT][/RIGHT] I use instant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%