Rescuing Fondant

Decorating By buisl

buisl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buisl Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 1

Hello Everyone!

I've got a fondant situation on my hands. 

I have three batches of homemade fondant that I made about a week ago. I use a recipe that is almost exactly like Rose Levy Beranbaum's from The Cake Bible. I've used this recipe a few times in the past with good success. It usually firms up enough that you can tear off pieces of it, and you must work it for a few minutes before using it.

For some reason, when I made my three batches this time, despite extremely careful measurement, they have turned out to be a bit soft. Not so soft that it is sticky to the touch, but soft enough that a little bit of kneading, it starts sticking to my counter and to my hands. I just tried coloring the fondant for use (I didn't use very much gel color at all) and although it firmed up a bit after a week of resting, once I started to color the fondant, it immediately became so soft that it was a big sticky mass on my counter. With liberal use of a bench scraper, I managed to color the fondant, but it certainly didn't work up as it normally does.

I had planned on letting the fondant rest over night so that I can roll it out and decorate my cake tomorrow (the party is on Sunday), but I just don't know how to salvage my fondant I am aftraid that once I start to roll it, it is just going to stick... I am confident that it is salvageable because it looks and tastes good, and after resting, it isn't sticky, but rolling it out will be tough. I already know it. Typically, I roll out with a dusting of corn starch, but I don't know if that will be enough. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can manage to salvage this fondant and cover my cakes?

Thanks in advance!

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%