New Wilton Fondant Issues!!!!

Decorating By cowgirlprncs Updated 18 Jul 2014 , 3:49pm by cowgirlprncs

cowgirlprncs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowgirlprncs Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 9

Is anyone else NOT loving the new wilton fondant recipe? The taste is better I will give them that, but using it is so much more trouble... I have had cake toppers drying for a week to 2 weeks and still giving on top of the cake. I have added tylose, cornstarch, powdered sugar. Never had this problem with the older fondant... HELP!!!!!!!!!!! My toppers are a main source of my business and this new fondant is killing me! 

8 replies
cjCustmCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjCustmCreation Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 9

You might try calling Wilton and asking them what you should do. 

MinaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinaBakes Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 3:26am
post #3 of 9

I know what you mean! I haven't really used it for toppers much, but to cover a cake and it was a complete fail. It bubbled all over the place, I've never had that issue with my homemade MMF. I actually used what I had help of it and conbined it with gumpaste and it seems better for shapes and toppers.

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 9

AI used it for the first time last week. I haste it! I had the same problems MinaBakes had. Thought it was just me and my humidity. My MMF is much better.

cowgirlprncs Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 9

AI may try MMF... I made it once and it was a trial in itself for me. Lol I use premade for convenience. Now it isn't as convenient...

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 12:34am
post #6 of 9

AI thought it was just me. I had some stars for a "frozen" cake stuck into the sides of the cake. Every last one fell over as did Elsa's castle, which I had mixed with 1/2 gum paste.

on the upside, the leftover balls of color don't harden either...

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 3:47am
post #7 of 9

AI used the blue to cut out some circles that needed to harden. They did OK. Once I attached them to the cake with melted chocolate, they were only refrigerated for a few hours and brought out to room temp. They didn't soften up. Humidity was a little up but not too bad.

I had that problem with Duff red fondant a couple of years ago...wouldn't harded and even the little pieces that I intentionally left out for a week still weren't hard! Only a crust on the outside, but the inside was still very soft.

Anyway, the Wilton was like very soft taffy when I pulled pieces off of it...didn't like that at all and can't imagine covering a cake in it.

Would only buy again for certain things.

RitasDeliciousCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitasDeliciousCreations Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 9

I haven't had trouble with the new Wilton fondant mix.  I add gum-tex AND cornstarch together and knead it into the fondant.  I keep adding those powders until the fondant begins to firm up and that's when I start cutting out my shapes.  

cowgirlprncs Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 9

AI have to add so much additive to my fondant that it cracks... it is so so humid in Ga

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%