Spherical Cake, Ganache, Fondant And Fondant Colouring. How Do I Even Start?

Decorating By TheSunshineCake

TheSunshineCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSunshineCake Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 1:30am
post #1 of 1

AHello everyone. I am relatively new to baking, and brand new to this forums, so I apologize for any mistake!

I plan on baking, in two months, a complete spherical cake, about 7 or 8 inches diameter. It's supposed to be covered with orange/red fondant scales, that are supposed to resemble flames. Here's a picture of what I want to do: [IMG]http://www.dailyfailcenter.com/sites/default/files/styles/fail/public/fail/aYbnnow_460s.jpg[/IMG]

Now, I have many recipes (for ganache and for cake) but I need some help: 1- what type of cake is better? I'd prefer a soft cake, but then it may not be able to handle all the weight and may slip off. On the other hand, a more dense, sturdy cake may get too dry. 2- how can I make sure the cake bakes entirely? Because the mold is so thick, the middle part may not bake. 3- filling. Should I cut the half-spheres and put some filling or should I just get some to connect the halves? 4- aaand what kind of filling? Thick, a bit on the liquid side? 5- should I put something between the cake and the fondant? I never used fondant before, so I am a bit clueless, as (I think) I have seen people both using something and putting the fondant stright after the cake. 6- I know I can color fondant or buy it already colored, but how can I make that red effect? 7- this cake is supposed to be a surprise, so I'll bake it at my place and take it (probably by car or bus) to another location. As it will be in the first days of September which, where I live, are usually as hot as a August day. I am so afraid everything will get hot, melt, slip off and make me get to the party with a mushy ball of dough. What can I do about that?

I appreciate any other tips. Actually, I appreciate ALL tips. I've seen a couple (many!) videos and tutorials, but I keep seeing mixed information (about the cake dough type for example), not to mention that most instructions are meant for people with a little more baking knowledge than me.

Again, sorry if this is long, in the wrong place or with grammar errors. Feel free to chat! :-)

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%