Crisco Classic Red Velvet Cake

Baking By vmanbakes Updated 20 Jun 2014 , 5:39pm by cakeymom

vmanbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmanbakes Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 3

I just came across this Red Velvet cake recipe that uses both vegetable oil and butter. I normally use all oil in my red velvet cakes. I was wondering if anyone ever used a recipe like this with both butter and oil and if the cake was still moist?

INGREDIENTS:

• RED VELVET CAKE
  • Pillsbury® No-Stick Spray for Baking
  • 2 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
  • 2 tablespoons Dutch process or regular unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
  • 1 (1 oz.) bottle red food coloring
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
  • 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon clear imitation vanilla extract or vanilla extract
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted

PREPARATION DIRECTIONS:

1. 1.
    HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with baking spray. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.

2. 2.
    BEAT sugar, butter and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, combine oil, food coloring, extract and vinegar. Add to creamed mixture; beat until well blended. Gradually add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating until blended.

3. 3.
    SPREAD evenly in prepared pans. Bake 23 to 26 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.

4. 4.
    BEAT cream cheese, butter and extract in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Gradually add powdered sugar until smooth. Beat on high speed 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Fill and frost cooled cake with frosting. Garnish sides of cake with pecans.

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 3

i don't often make rv so i was waiting for someone else to answer--but my comment is since this is made with buttermilk -- you have nothing to worry about--it looks like a great recipe to me

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 3

I use a modified version of the Cakeman Raven's Red Velvet Cake recipe and I use oil and butter.  When I tried it with just oil the cake was way too oily and slick for my taste. 

Cakeymom

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%