Post Wedding Advice

Business By Chefdanscakes Updated 24 Jun 2014 , 5:25pm by craftybanana

Chefdanscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefdanscakes Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 21

Hi I did my first wedding cake last Saturday, it was my first one that was not a friend or relative. My question is what's the best thing to do to follow up on this from a business point of view? I guess the main reason I would like to get some feedback from them but I don't want to sound like that's all I'm asking them. Would sending a congratulations card be appropriate? with a note asking them for any comments/feedback.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thank you,
Dan.

P.s here is a photo of the cake

20 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 21

Lovely cake--very different.

I always e-mail asking for feedback.  How can I improve if I don't get it?

It's just a general, "Hi.  When you get a minute, I'd love to hear how things went with the cake.  Any feedback--good or bad--would be appreciated.  Thanks so much."  9/10 respond quickly.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 21

yes i agree that cake is amazing-- it looks especially 'groomal' as opposed to most cakes looking bridal--

but as far as gathering/requesting  feedback--i figure no news is good news and leave it at that -- but i'm not new at this and i know my stuff and i know it's all it should be --

and just to mention something else about your lovely creation -- the decor is unique -- and the way the cake fits the plateau is what validates the whole four tiers--stamps your parking ticket--if that plateau area had been off dot dot dot  but it's perfectly proportioned and it just rocks--

those geometric designs are back breakers-- great degree of difficulty -- well done

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 21

and if you need feedback i think asking the caterer would get you more pointed, useful, less subjective information--

just a thought

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 12:49am
post #5 of 21

AI send a thank you card in the mail to the couple the week after their wedding. In most cases they bride sends me an email or card in return. At that point I ask for a review on either wedding wire or the knot.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 11:31am
post #6 of 21

I have made up a very short survey which I send out...sometimes people do it, sometimes they don't but if they do, it's invaluable.  Usually i find that I get a message from the couple a few days later but if not, they get an email with a survey for them to complete at their leisure :-)  Love the cake too!  Never seen anything like that.  Is it an arabic saying? xx

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 21

There's a magical part of me screaming 'NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!"  - if there's a problem, BELIEVE me, they WILL tell you!!!  Otherwise, never ever ever give them an excuse to put a doubt in your mind!!! 

If you are going to do anything, you send them a post-wedding "Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to be a part of your special day - here is a certificate for $10 off a purchase of $50 or more or an anniversary cake"...  That's IT!!!

Here's why - when you put doubt into a customer's mind, YOU come across as being less than professional which cuts down on your referral business.  Referral business is what will give you a comfortable life.  You are a professional, you need to be paid as one, and you need to put the self-doubt away and know you're putting out your best product.  If you aren't, then YOU should already know this, you don't need someone else to tell you that you aren't doing your very best work.  And if you aren't, fix it!  When you put doubt into a customer's mind, you also are putting yourself at risk of having those who will take advantage of you do so and request refunds and discounts even if their cake was over the top fabulous and wonderful.  If a refund is deemed necessary, that needs to come from you, not because you put doubt into a customer's mind.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 21

AMy magical parts frequently scream no at times too.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 21

ANot fair, I wish I had magical parts too. I don't really care what they might scream at me.....

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 12:13am
post #10 of 21

I don't contact people after the event, but if you really want them to post feedback somewhere, you could just drop a general email to them. "Thank you for letting me participate in your wedding reception. I hope that you ahd a great day. If you have the time, I'd appreciate it if you could post some feedback for me on XXXX site, (then add a link to it)"

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 1:44am
post #11 of 21

Sorry, but I don't see asking for some general feedback as, in any way, inserting doubt about my own work into the client's mind. 

To me, it's no different than a desk clerk asking about my stay when I check out of a hotel.  99% of the time, I tell them it was great and that's it, but when it hasn't been great, I tell them--and I'm glad that they asked before I had to bring it up.

I've had about the same percentages in my follow ups.  I made a 2 layer open book cake and did the top layer using the small open book pan. When I asked the client about the cake, she gushed over it and then said, "But, I had a corner and I thought that the top layer of the cake was drier than the rest."  She said that no one else mentioned it and that she didn't feel it was a big issue, but she was glad I asked so that she could bring it up.  She wasn't refund hunting, either, and I didn't offer one after I thanked her for her honesty.  I did, however, stop using that pan--I carve all open book cakes now--and I don't worry about dry corners.  She's a frequent customer.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 11:25am
post #12 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoutureCake 

Here's why - when you put doubt into a customer's mind, YOU come across as being less than professional which cuts down on your referral business.  Referral business is what will give you a comfortable life.  You are a professional, you need to be paid as one, and you need to put the self-doubt away and know you're putting out your best product.  If you aren't, then YOU should already know this, you don't need someone else to tell you that you aren't doing your very best work.  And if you aren't, fix it!  When you put doubt into a customer's mind, you also are putting yourself at risk of having those who will take advantage of you do so and request refunds and discounts even if their cake was over the top fabulous and wonderful.  If a refund is deemed necessary, that needs to come from you, not because you put doubt into a customer's mind.

I agree with this;

Another thought I had was that why would you ask? when you buy a skirt or shoes or whatever do you get an email back from the store asking how you find the said product?

I know that now airlines and the like are sending out emails asking for your experience but I do wonder how many people answer them. Most people now a days just don't have the time for follow up IMO.

I wouldn't ask, if there is a problem as others have said, they will let you know.

costumeczar Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 4:27pm
post #13 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire138 

I agree with this;

Another thought I had was that why would you ask? when you buy a skirt or shoes or whatever do you get an email back from the store asking how you find the said product?

Yes, they do send those now, and it's annoying. That's why I don't contact anybody after the fact. Usually if someone writes to me and says thank you I respond back with "I'm glad you liked the cake" or something like that. If you're just starting out and need reviews, though, I can see sending a follow-up, although it would be my preference to not do that.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 4:45pm
post #14 of 21

You did an awesome job on the cake!!! WOW!!! I agree that if the cake was not satisfactory you would have heard about it!! Great job!!!

Claire138 Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 6:37pm
post #15 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Yes, they do send those now, and it's annoying.

The stores send emails? wow, that's a new one to me. It hasn't come here yet although I imagine it won't be long........

costumeczar Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 6:52pm
post #16 of 21

Quote:

The stores send emails? wow, that's a new one to me. It hasn't come here yet although I imagine it won't be long........

Just don't give them your email address when you check out and you don't have to worry about it. They always ask for it here, then they send you all kinds of junk including asking you to rate your purchases.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 7:09pm
post #17 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Just don't give them your email address when you check out and you don't have to worry about it. They always ask for it here, then they send you all kinds of junk including asking you to rate your purchases.

oh i never do -- it freaks me out to sign up for stuff at the check out counter when everyone and their brother are listening -- i don't even like to give my zip code -- maybe i give the zip code i wish i lived in :-D but then if you have to get your credit card verified for some reason you're a little screwed---like if they detect fraudulent activity and flag your account --

years ago i went to minor medical place and they had you signing up at the reception window with your name of course and your social security number ... umm no i don't think so -- i mean on a list of others who had signed in before me-- dang if i was a thief i'd been in hog heaven -- 

but i get dinged by requests for feedback from all my online places where i trade

Claire138 Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 6:32am
post #18 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

oh i never do -- it freaks me out to sign up for stuff at the check out counter when everyone and their brother are listening -- i don't even like to give my zip code -- maybe i give the zip code i wish i lived in :-D but then if you have to get your credit card verified for some reason you're a little screwed---like if they detect fraudulent activity and flag your account --

years ago i went to minor medical place and they had you signing up at the reception window with your name of course and your social security number ... umm no i don't think so -- i mean on a list of others who had signed in before me-- dang if i was a thief i'd been in hog heaven -- 

but i get dinged by requests for feedback from all my online places where i trade

That's so funny, it reminds me of last year when I was in the States visiting my parents we went to a store where they asked me my post code before paying. My mum was wondering around and I could not remember the post code (they hadn't been living there long). The cachier would not let me pay bc I didn't have a post code. I said to her "of what consequence is my post code to you? I don't even live in this country" she told me "it's store policy". Madness.

costumeczar Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 10:49am
post #19 of 21

A

Original message sent by Claire138

That's so funny, it reminds me of last year when I was in the States visiting my parents we went to a store where they asked me my post code before paying. My mum was wondering around and I could not remember the post code (they hadn't been living there long). The cachier would not let me pay bc I didn't have a post code. I said to her "of what consequence is my post code to you? I don't even live in this country" she told me "it's store policy". Madness.

If you don't give them one here they just make something up and put it in.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 11:26am
post #20 of 21

AFwiw, I hate getting follow-up emails, requests for a review, etc. enough that I will avoid shopping places that I know are going to pester me with it. I wouldn't bother content clients with an after-the-event email.

Also, your cake is beautiful!

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 5:25pm
post #21 of 21

Quote:

I agree with this;

I know that now airlines and the like are sending out emails asking for your experience but I do wonder how many people answer them. Most people now a days just don't have the time for follow up IMO.

I wouldn't ask, if there is a problem as others have said, they will let you know.

Hm, The hospital where I had my baby kept calling me for a "random survey" about once a month during my pre-baby doctor visits.... Was very annoying, some "random" survey:x. If you do send them a request for feedback, do like some of the others are saying and send them a congratulations/thank you note with a blurb about leaving feedback on your site or some such. Just don't ask more than that, they probably don't want to think about the wedding details now that they don't have too, *wink wink nod nod* :party:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%