Cake Decorating Tutorial - How To Charge

Business By Dev1450 Updated 18 Jun 2014 , 7:16pm by -K8memphis

Dev1450 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dev1450 Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 11:37am
post #1 of 7

Hi

A client wants me to make a cake with her child, for her child's birthday.  How do I charge for that? Technically I'm teaching the child along with providing the cake.  If the price of the cake is $100 (for me to do alone) how much should I charge to have her "help" me?

Thanks!

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 7

by the hour or half hour depending on the age of the child-- maybe $35 - $50 an hour -- 

look at cake decorating classes and decide if you are a wilton type teacher or a pastry chef type teacher

i would charge $75 an hour for semi private lessons because my classes are packed full

Dev1450 Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 7

So you would charge $75 per hour and include in that the cost of the cake, not charge separately for the finished product?

I was looking at the Wilton course guides  - they charge only $20 per student in the group classes. I couldn't imagine charging that little for a class per student.

Thank you so much.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 7

no i'd charge the $100 for the cake and charge additionally for the lesson -- but with one or two students i can cover many times the material of most classes -- i'm both a professional decorator on the clock moving quite fast plus i know custom work -- i'm gonna teach the expedited way that i operate and do things -- i just manage to cover tons of material in my classes --

how old is the student? is anyone else gonna be there-- the mom?

Dev1450 Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 7

AShe's 13, the Mom is a friend and was unwilling to buy one of my cakes at full price a few months ago. I think she's trying to have her trained

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 7

so she's willing to pay full price plus the lesson now?

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 7

it's more work to teach someone

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%