Help! 3D Carved Cake Tips!

Decorating By jovannahinkle Updated 18 Jun 2014 , 12:18am by natt12321

jovannahinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovannahinkle Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone!  I have a cake coming up that I'm a bit nervous about so I thought I'd pick some of your brains. :)

The top tier of this cake will be a die:

The middle tier will be a 12 sided die:

And the bottom tier will be the TOP half of a 20 sided die:

Does anyone have any tips on how to pull this off and actually have it look good with clean, sharp edges? I'm nervous!

Thanks!

Jovanna

The Cakehole

www.thecakehole.net

2 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 3

I hate to say this, but once you get beyond the square,  you really need full sized, paper templates to create the 3D geometry.

The 12 sided die is a dodecahedron.  http://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/dodecahedron-model.html

The 10 sided die is an icosahedron.  http://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/icosahedron-model.html

The icosahedron is pretty simple to visualize.  The dodecahedron is another story.

Now, all that said, I'm going to be brutal.  The only way I MIGHT do these is as dummies--dummies cut by a company that has the machinery and product stock to make lots & lots of mistakes.  With all of the cutting & fitting, I'd charge a buttload of money for them and the decorating of them, too.

As real cake..............$$$$$$$$$ because one wrong cut or paste and I have to rebake an entire cake.  I'd also have to start with a very large cake and there'd be a lot of waste.

My husband made these as paper models with my son years ago.  He's a very bright, mild mannered man with a genius IQ and he was very frustrated by the process.

natt12321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natt12321 Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 12:18am
post #3 of 3

On the flip side, I find carving pretty easy to do by eye.

In the case of these I would round off the stacked cakes and then using a paper template draw on the shapes and then cut them in the appropriate places. You make a little mistake? stick the cake you shouldn't have cut off back on using BC. Simples.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%