Help! 3D Carved Cake Tips!

Decorating By jovannahinkle Updated 18 Jun 2014 , 12:18am by natt12321

jovannahinkle Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone!  I have a cake coming up that I'm a bit nervous about so I thought I'd pick some of your brains. :)

The top tier of this cake will be a die:

The middle tier will be a 12 sided die:

And the bottom tier will be the TOP half of a 20 sided die:

Does anyone have any tips on how to pull this off and actually have it look good with clean, sharp edges? I'm nervous!

The Cakehole

2 replies
maybenot Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 3

I hate to say this, but once you get beyond the square,  you really need full sized, paper templates to create the 3D geometry.

The 12 sided die is a dodecahedron.

The 10 sided die is an icosahedron.

The icosahedron is pretty simple to visualize.  The dodecahedron is another story.

Now, all that said, I'm going to be brutal.  The only way I MIGHT do these is as dummies--dummies cut by a company that has the machinery and product stock to make lots & lots of mistakes.  With all of the cutting & fitting, I'd charge a buttload of money for them and the decorating of them, too.

As real cake..............$$$$$$$$$ because one wrong cut or paste and I have to rebake an entire cake.  I'd also have to start with a very large cake and there'd be a lot of waste.

My husband made these as paper models with my son years ago.  He's a very bright, mild mannered man with a genius IQ and he was very frustrated by the process.

natt12321 Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 12:18am
post #3 of 3

On the flip side, I find carving pretty easy to do by eye.

In the case of these I would round off the stacked cakes and then using a paper template draw on the shapes and then cut them in the appropriate places. You make a little mistake? stick the cake you shouldn't have cut off back on using BC. Simples.

Quote by @%username% on %date%