Corkscrew Cake

Decorating By Ameeta Updated 17 Jun 2014 , 7:42pm by -K8memphis

Ameeta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ameeta Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 4

I've been asked to make a cake that looks like the cork of a wine bottle...exactly like the one in this picture. Does anyone know how to get that effect or how to make it look realistic? I'm trying to talk her into a wine bottle but she seems pretty set on the cork to keep with the wine-themed bridal shower. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Ameeta

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 4

it's gotta be laying down like that? it would be cool standing up with the bottom tier foam then just start stacking up the 6 inchers -- whoo hoo hoo --

but you could get that texture by 'smoothing' some cold icing -- it would ribble (texture) up like that -- or mist the cake with water and sprinkle on some powdered sugar and try to smooth that-- i mean that's what many cakes look like before they get fully smoothed down anyhow--

looks a little cake spackley-- toba garrett mixes up cake crumbs and icing -- something like that would do it too

practice first of course

mysweetconfetions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetconfetions Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 4

How big does it need to be? The thought that comes to mind for me is if you have a metal coffee can to bake your cake in it twice. Then lay the cakes end to end on their side. HTH

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 4

but for the record that's a cork cake -- the corkscrew is what screws down into the cork that you pull up on and that opens the bottle 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%