Advanced Stacking Technique??

Decorating By leannrr Updated 24 Jun 2014 , 6:07pm by Foamguy

leannrr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannrr Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 8

How do I stack something like this for the bottom tier?

7 Tiered cake with damask pattern on two tiers. Embellished with Swarovski rhinestone mongram and a few on the pillowed tier. Bows are accented also with Rhinestones and avocado luster dust. Black and White stripes make a good base for this masterpiece and bring attention up to the middle elevated tier.

I'm thinking a Styrofoam cylinder under the big bottom tier and just slide in the small cakes around.  I assume there is no weight on the small cakes.  Any pointers?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 8

no, you got it-- unless you need more servings--

i used the either 3/4" or 1" wooden dowel that i got cut for me at the hardware store--nowadays i would seal them in wax as well but they stand perfectly just on the table so that's what i would use for something like that if it was all cake under there--or maybe use in the white quilted one--

how many servings you doing?

best to you

leannrr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannrr Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 8

I doing an 8", 10", 12" and then 4- 8" rounds to serve 160.  I'll use my regular Coast plastic plate system up top, was just wandering about support under the 12"...if additional support needed in the 8" satellite cakes or if the Styrofoam under the 12" was enough to stabilize.  I've actually done this before, but just forgot how I did it!! :(

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 4:22am
post #4 of 8

I've done a couple of cakes set up like that and as I remember I did exactly what you are suggesting.  I think you want to use a 10" styro circle so there is room for the 8"ers to show.  Better yet, using paper or your pans, set up just the four 8s and see what size the hole in the center is going to be - you may not even need any styro - I can't remember since it's been so long ago that I did mine.  You may want to put just one dowel in ea cake on the bottom if you do use styro, depending on how much overlap there is onto the 8s.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 8

i prefer to use 6 inch cakes under a 12"--here's some photos of dummies--

this ^^^ is with six 6 inchers

this ^^^ is with four 8" cakes pulled way apart

this ^^^ is how much room you have in between your 8" tiers --that's a 6" dummy so you could get a 7" dummy in there but it would need to rest on the edges of the bottom boards that the 8" tiers rest on -- 

otherwise you'd stack the 8x10x12 on top of the four 8" tiers -- if you pulled them in together more -- 

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 8

AI agree with K8memphis, 6" rounds will look much better than 8" rounds.

Foamguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foamguy Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 8

The dummies are definitely the way to go. Foam is light so it is easy to work with and wont let you down. I have gotten pre-made dummies from buyfoamblocks.com in the past but I have also made them from scratch using foam discs depending on how big my cake was. I think that using wood could be dangerous because wood is heavier then foam is. 

Foamguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foamguy Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 8

If you want different sized foam discs to make your own dummy I know buyfoamblocks.com has them and they have pre-made ones. I know how frustrating finding the right foam for the dummy can be, so I hope this helps. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%