Do You Refrigerate Your Fondant Covered Cakes?

Decorating By rosamg_86 Updated 17 Jun 2014 , 10:11pm by maybenot

rosamg_86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosamg_86 Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 5:34am
post #1 of 7

Lately, I have been watching a lot of cake shows...on most of them, they make their cakes a day or 2 ahead and then they refrigerate (cake covered in fondant). Now, if I refrigerate my cake that is covered in fondant it tends to sweat and makes the fondant gooey and sticky. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep cakes from sweating? OR is it is ok to leave cake at room temperature overnight?  Any thoughts/help would be appreciated ;)

6 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 11:49am
post #2 of 7

Cake can stay at room temperature for as long as you like. It's only if you have something perishable in the filling that cake needs to be in the fridge.

I can't put fondant in the fridge here. It seems to be the humidity in the air that causes the sweating. A lot of people suggest leaving the cake out and not touching it until the condensation dries, but that takes too long for me.

Fastv8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fastv8 Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 7

AI refrigerate my cakes and then take them out 4-5 hours before they are required, and I leave them boxed, yes they may sweat a little, but it dries up . I've never had any problems doing my cakes this way.

Daisyblue002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisyblue002 Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 7

My cakes don't have any perishable fillings (e.g cream cheese or fruit) so just stay out at room temp. I use ganache filling which doesn't need to be refrigerated. After the cakes comes out of the fridge, just let it come back to room temp before touching it and the condensation will soon disappear.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 7

I don't refrigerate cakes, period.  Nothng I use is perishable.

rosamg_86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosamg_86 Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the help :) I really do appreciate it.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 7

I don't refrigerate cakes unless they have perishable filling.  If I did refrigerate, I'd put the cake in a cardboard box, wrap the box in saran, and leave it wrapped on the counter for awhile before removing it from the box. 

This way, the moisture in the outside air can't even get near the cake while the cake is cold, and any sweat would be so minimal you'd probably not even notice it.  The box would absorb any bit of moisture, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%