Is 2.00 Per Slice Reasonable?

Business By candiandi Updated 2 Jul 2014 , 12:15am by SteelPennyCakes

candiandi Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 57

Okay, so I have been doing the caking thing for over a year now.  I am self taught and I am confident that I am ready to actually sell to make a profit.  I live in a small town in westeren Pa, so I realize I can't get too crazy with my prices.  After costing everything out, I would not even make minimun wage :/  Too many people message me saying how they love my cakes but are so blown away when I give them a price. I do not charge 2.00 per slice for a sheet cake, It's more like 1.50 per slice-but anything else I would have to start at 2.00.  I realize price depends on cost of goods and the location, but I wanted some advice from someone who has been doing this for a while.  Thanks for any help!

56 replies
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 57

those prices seem pretty low to me-- if you are going to be doing custom work i would hope your prices could be higher--

 

but a work around for that is to set boundaries -- for example -- only do certain sizes period-- that will save you a lot of time and money -- what i'm trying to say is establish a repertoire that your clients can fit into--most custom cakers do it all custom designed--

 

something like this  http://www.nothingbundtcakes.com/

 

just let your folks choose something off your well established menu --

 

when people contact you --say "yes i can do that at this price however i can do this cake at this more affordable price" -- so do your best to retain every contact as a customer by supplying them with what you can do for them without bankrupting yourself before you ice the first cake--

 

and then you can still do blow out cakes for family or once a year find a serviceman getting married and do a tricked out tier cake for the ages--at a minimal cost or gratis--so you keep your portfolio going--and occassionally will get someone willing to shell it out for the fancier styles --

 

design your business to your market but don't let them get away with murder either --

candiandi Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 57

AWell I only offer 3 sheet [ATTACHMENT=1747]image.jpg (259k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]Cake sizes and anything else is 2.00 per slice. I do not do 3D and I mostly stuck to buttercream. I wonder if people just tell me I do nice work to be nice or if they really can't afford a cake? I always get compared to walmart or small supermarkets. There aren't many cake decorators in this area and those that do it charge way less than me. It's frustrating because I offer a unique recipe that I created myself. All I do is custom work. I make the cake exactly like they want it and really take the time to make sure it is just for them. Here is one I did for a man who wanted dale jr and poker. They were happy but was shocked when I said it was 40.00 (feeds 25) I can't keep doing this if no one will pay or maybe they don't feel my work is worth it? I feel it is bc I have seen so many cake wrecks in this area. It's almost funny when someone turns me down and I later see that cake they got for cheaper and it looks like a 2 year old did it.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 57

that's a cute cake-- you should establish pricing when the cake is being ordered--not when it is delivered --

 

cake traditionally is an easy and inexpensive dessert for a crowd--when custom cake decorating is added into the equation then it turns into a completely different commodity--super low prices for high end goods brings the market down --

 

so peruse the pricing threads on here and i wish you the best of luck with your decisions

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 57

food for thought from the thread entitled: things NOT to ask/say to a baker! page 183 post 2731

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonne Bouche 
 

I think that most people do not have any idea of the recipe cost of a cake let alone the time to make and decorate it.  I didn't realize it myself until I invested in some software that was really an eye opener. One thing that has stayed with me from articles and posts I have read-- I am going to price cakes according to the cost of the cake and a reasonable charge for my design and labor for decorating the cake.  I am not going to be known as the "cheap cake lady" and spend hours of my life decorating cakes practically for free.  I'd rather be less busy and make what I'm worth than stressed and rushed for practically nothing.  And fellow cake bakers will appreciate it too-- we should not be undercutting each other.   Hang in there.  If they want a Costco/Walmart cake, they can go there.

 
wickeddelish Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 57

I'm also in Western PA, and I've also just gone into business (in the last several months) At first I wanted to not charge a lot because I assumed people wouldn't pay it in this area. My advice to you is price what you're worth. My cakes are pretty good, not as incredible as some of the others on here, but they're of a good quality, I still learn something new with each cake, and I get a lot of people who expect to pay Walmart prices, BUT I also get alot of people who WILL pay what I'm asking because they understand that it's a custom cake and that there's so much work and skill involved in making them exactly what they want. Just keep on going and do not sell yourself short. Once I got real about wanting to make money doing what I love I found out just how valuable of a skill this is and now I'm booked for at least 2 cakes a week until August. (I won't do more than that because I also work full-time) but once you understand that the people who will pay for your time and skills are the clientele you want to have, it can change your attitude and give you a boost to know that you are worth way more than $2.00 per serving and screw anyone who thinks it's "too much", they'll go find someone else to do it for their price and not get a quality cake. 

Bonne Bouche Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 57

Per slice pricing is fine as long as you are able to "roll in" the price of the 3-D art work, sugar gum flowers, or fondant work.  But even when using a "per slice" model be sure you are aware of what that recipe is really costing you in materials alone.  Don't forget your boxes, boards, foil, ribbon etc. I do a lot of 3-D art work and sugar gum work.  Cost of materials for something with isomalt is going to increase the cost of that cake.  I only give a per slice price on big cakes and only after I've priced in the cost of the art work.  Otherwise, I just add up the cost of the recipe, my estimated hourly labor charge, and the cost of the flower or art (which includes materials plus time/labor).  An 8" cake for example might be anywhere from $40-$120-- it depends on the artwork and the cost of the recipe. People who are looking for a beautiful celebration cake that tastes wonderful too are willing to pay.  That's your market. Don't waste your time on people who want something for nothing.  You'll get lots of referrals and be working real hard for very little money.

CoutureCake Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 57

Why do you want to work for less than a billion dollar corporation that can afford to pay its workers more than minimum wage (starting at a big box if you've got any level of skill is higher than minimum wage)?  Walmart charges more than that for a cupcake that comes in off a truck pre-frozen in the bakery case.  If you're going to work for less than minimum wage, then go to work for Walmart or the grocery store bakery where you won't have the overhead and will be money and time ahead, they'll be glad to have the skilled decorator. 

 

If your work is solid, charge accordingly!  Charge what you need to charge in order to stay in business.  You're better off to do less work and get paid fairly than you are to take on a lot of work and lose money.  Sure, you'll turn some price shoppers away, but GOOD!  I'll take 10 customers who pay real wages than 30 that I lose money working for!  It's easier to go down in price than it is to take on a design and discover that it's more work and you not have a profit margin than to go in without a profit margin and lose money.  How do you get paid top dollar for custom work, you ASK FOR IT!  If you put out a quality product that tastes & looks good, people will pay for it!  I often think back to my mentors telling me "Stop undercutting - you're cheapening the ENTIRE INDUSTRY!"  If you want to make this a business then you need to have a solid business plan, and the only reason to be in business is to make money!  Otherwise, just go to work for someone else and collect the paycheck each week enjoying the fact that you're money ahead!

AZCouture Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 57

If I had to fight to get people to pay my prices, I'd find another job, simple as that. Yes, you do have a certain amount of promoting and advertising, and you definitely need to be able to sell yourself and the quality that comes with the price, but you cannot force business where it isn't. And that also means you don't lower your prices just because the people can't afford it. You can offer lower priced goods, that are proportionally equal to the lower amount of labor and materials required. But taking a cut on custom work just to accomodate budgets is not ok. Prada and Gucci do NOT open up shops in low income areas and sell five thousand dollar handbags for five hundred dollars just because the population can't afford more. They only sell where it's profitable to them. Should be the same with cake.

costumeczar Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 12:21am
post #10 of 57

I wouldn't sell cakes for $2 a serving unless I was also tacking on a heck of a lot of extra fees...You want icing with that? It will be $2.50 a serving, You want me to smooth the icing out? $3. Etc. Like everyone else has said, custom work and custom details incur a higher fee than something you pull off the shelf. It's the same for everything else, so why should you be any different?

 

The hard truth is that to make a profit in business you have to run a business, not a hobby. This involves a lot more marketing than people realize. If I spend about 5 or 6 hours hands-on for a cake, I've probably spent 10-15 more marketing that cake in one way or another. That's the not-fun and not-cute part but you can't ignore it or you might as well go work for someone who will pay you minimum wage and avoid the stress of having your own business. Sad but true.

Zeyneb Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 11:04am
post #11 of 57

I got into the cake decorating business approx. 2 years ago, and this subject has been one hell of a problem for me as well. I do boutique cakes (and cookies), 3D and 2D, using fondant and ganache, which are pretty expensive ingredients! I make my own fondant at home, I dont use ANY additives, use the freshest products I can get hold of, and practically travel to the other side of the city just to be able to choose my equipments and ingredients by hand and touch, so that I dont make any mistakes if I were to order online (although I do also order online for a few items). Plus a ton of my time, patience and energy goes into making the cake itself, not to mention I have to organize my schedule around my 2,5 year old daughter and dear hubby and dear "house" who also needs me :) Plus the list goes ooon and on ...

Result ? I get loads of turn downs, people dont even reply back when I tell them the price, they basically dont answer , leaving me with ; "ookay, I think they found the price high, right? " !!!  

 

Last week I came accross this article online : http://www.thebizofbaking.com/2014/05/pricingeducation.html?m=1

 

I dont need to add anything more to it, but let me tell you that the pricing here (Im in Istanbul, Turkey) for boutique cakes is per slice, and the LOWEST price you will get is 4 dollars per slice. No lower than that! Regular prices would be around 5 - 7 dollars!  In my opinion and experience I think you shouldnt give away your cakes for 2 $ ! You say that there arent many cake designers in your area ; that could be an absolute advantage for you ! Be known as "the quality cake baker with strong prices" rather than "the cheap baker with low quality cakes". Its going to be quite painstaking and slow maybe, but Im sure you will get where you want :) Im still struggling too, but believe me there are customers out there who WILL pay for what youre serving.

Im going to aim at a different crowd now so I printed out 2000 flyers which I will be handing out in a few of the higher income areas of the city :)))

 

Its all about advertising. And quality service too, which no one will be brushing aside unless thats not what they're really looking for. Which is where the cheaper pastry shops and super markets would come in.  But youre unique, youre quality and youre GOOD !

 

Hope all goes well ;)

RedneckRuffle Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 2:07pm
post #12 of 57

AI bought a hunk of red velvet from a local restaurant yesterday. Paid $6 for it. I'm pretty sure the frosting came from a bucket. Still didn't bother me. It was pretty good.The price didn't phase me, and I'm far from wealthy.

candiandi Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 2:46am
post #13 of 57

AThank you all for your input and advice. Recently, I thought about making this a true business because I DID go to college for Business. I know all about advertising etc. That is not my problem at all....I DO enjoy caking, but this is not what I was meant to do forever full time. Now, before you all fall off your chair to that statement, just understand I wondered into this one day with no intent to keep going lol. When I realized people were loving my cakes, that's when I sat down and did the business plan etc. At 2.00 a slice, I am making money but after it's all said and done it feels like it just wasn't worth it. My main problem is this-there is another cake lady in the area who's work is sooooo good. She only charges 2.00 as well. I have talked to her about it and asked if she wanted to maybe work together but she only does caking as a hobby (even though she has a ton of customers lol) I did a wedding not long ago...they LOVED my cake...it is all I heard about seriously...well she ordered another cake...guess what? She didn't wanna pay that much! it's like I can't even win with the people who have ALREADY ordered and paid the price! What it all really comes to is I know my work is nothing compared to this other lady and I feel like I can't really raise my prices much higher than hers. I don't know if she is from scratch or not, but I have tasted her cake..it is pretty darn good I must say.

Norasmom Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 2:51am
post #14 of 57

She's an under cutter….!  They are awful but they don't survive.  She is doing herself no favors charging so little.  Just wait it out, she will not keep doing cake for long at those prices…charging too little causes burnout, even if it's a "hobby."  

candiandi Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 3:04am
post #15 of 57

ehhh, IDK...she's been at this for 6 years :/  Everyone loves her cake but still find her prices ridiculous.  I think it's just the area we live in.   Just had a lady today that again, has BOUGHT cake from me, ask me to make her cupcakes.  I said 15.00 a dozen (like she didn't know) and she said "wow, your cakes are so worth it but I think I will make them myself"  What an awful thing to say!  It is an absolute slap in the face when a previous customer is complaining about price lol.  I have had customers that SWORE they would never go anywhere else (I realize you can't take anyones word) and I see them on facebook with a wal mart birthday cake or someone else :/  I seriously want to just scream sometimes.  It really bothers me when they say "how do you get your cake so moist, I have never had anything like this around here" yet they aren't willing to pay?  If you see some of my pictures, I don't have the best skills honestly, but I tell ya what, my cake is damn good.  I crave it all the time LOL  

costumeczar Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 11:03am
post #16 of 57

A

Original message sent by candiandi

ehhh, IDK...she's been at this for 6 years :/  Everyone loves her cake but still find her prices ridiculous.  I think it's just the area we live in.   Just had a lady today that again, has BOUGHT cake from me, ask me to make her cupcakes.  I said 15.00 a dozen (like she didn't know) and she said "wow, your cakes are so worth it but I think I will make them myself"  What an awful thing to say!  It is an absolute slap in the face when a previous customer is complaining about price lol.  I have had customers that SWORE they would never go anywhere else (I realize you can't take anyones word) and I see them on facebook with a wal mart birthday cake or someone else :/  I seriously want to just scream sometimes.  It really bothers me when they say "how do you get your cake so moist, I have never had anything like this around here" yet they aren't willing to pay?  If you see some of my pictures, I don't have the best skills honestly, but I tell ya what, my cake is damn good.  I crave it all the time LOL  

You can't take that kind of thing personally. "Your cake is worth it but I think I'll make it myself" translates into "I have ten credit cards all maxed out, my husband is threatening to leave me because of it, and I can only afford a box of cake mix." Well, in my head it translates that way. Not everyone can afford everything, even at low prices. There will always be a Walmart for the people who don't want to pay higher prices for something they consider to be a non-necessity (and cake really isn't necessary).

I wanted to mention that I didn't fall over when you said you weren't passionately in love with cakes. Neither am I, and I've been doing them for 18 years, have won many "best-of" awards, been published, etc etc. I'm not trying to brag, I just want to point out that you don't have to look at something as your reason for living to make it a profitable business. I know a lot of people who are really good at decorating who think cakes aren't all that...

Apti Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 11:48am
post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 
 

If I had to fight to get people to pay my prices, I'd find another job, simple as that.......  ....... Prada and Gucci do NOT open up shops in low income areas and sell five thousand dollar handbags for five hundred dollars just because the population can't afford more. They only sell where it's profitable to them. Should be the same with cake.

Like.

Crazy-Gray Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 12:46pm
post #18 of 57

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 


I wanted to mention that I didn't fall over when you said you weren't passionately in love with cakes. Neither am I, and I've been doing them for 18 years, have won many "best-of" awards, been published, etc etc. I'm not trying to brag, I just want to point out that you don't have to look at something as your reason for living to make it a profitable business. I know a lot of people who are really good at decorating who think cakes aren't all that...

 

I found that really loving making cakes was quite hurtful in a business sense; I would spend more time than it was viable to spend just because I was enjoying it and 'it would be fun to just add this...' I've had to try hard to make sure people get what they pay for, not that this takes all the fun out... ending up resenting orders because you work too hard for too little is when the fun has gone.....

NurseDolly Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 1:46pm
post #19 of 57

I called around to the local bakeries to inquire about pricing, not WM and Publix, and also looked at some of the home bakers web sites. I use the pricing matrix to determine the cost of my cakes, it can be found on Cake Central. $2.00/serving is too low, don't sell yourself short if you have a quality product. I try to work within a customers budget but sometimes you just have to let them walk away.

candiandi Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 2:27pm
post #20 of 57


Thanks...I laughed when you said about the credit cards because this is probably the case with this lady lol.  If anything, caking will prepare me for the business world in any field lol  If I can handle rejection from something I personally create, then I can handle any type of criticism :)

candiandi Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 2:36pm
post #21 of 57

-All very good points :)  That is very true-I have spent hours on something adding little things here and there :/  THAT was when I started....I would spend a long time drawing up ideas etc...now I could really care less (I care but I don't spend too much time on them)  I keep it simple from now on so I actually make something :)  Like I said before, this is not something I want to make a business out of...If anything it is teaching me a long the way (college gives no hands on experience lol)  I wanted to make this legal and legit but when I realized that this area is not good for something like this, I decided to just keep it on the side.  Still a good learning experience though when you are always thinking of ways to cut costs and make money :)  My real issue is the cost to make these cakes...I am using butter milk and sour cream etc...that stuff is not cheap...and good butter-WOW  expensive.....I did cut my icing from pure butter to half Crisco because honestly I liked it better that way.  Other than that, I can't cut anything else out :/  Maybe I could use aluminum foil wrapped boards and saran wrap for delivery instead of a box? lol jk 

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 3:02pm
post #22 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 
 

If I had to fight to get people to pay my prices, I'd find another job, simple as that.......  ....... Prada and Gucci do NOT open up shops in low income areas and sell five thousand dollar handbags for five hundred dollars just because the population can't afford more. They only sell where it's profitable to them. Should be the same with cake.

Like.

 

 

no just no -- i respectfully disagree --

 

people in low income areas can bake and decorate and sell too -- and they do --designer purse stores are not comparable to the widespread availability/opportunites that making cakes affords-- suzy homemaker can bake a cake while jr sleeps & his siblings are at school and daddy has the one car at work etc. -- baking cakes is easy and common it is not exclusive haute couture -- it spans all ages and all socio/economic levels --

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/351105604513?lpid=82

 

here's the latest

 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26680910?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227018920150&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=35552641956&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=53519667036&veh=sem

candiandi Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 3:03pm
post #23 of 57

AAhhhhh!!!! Look. This is a local baker. Walmart charges more. This is where the lady that wanted cupcakes is going for her event. I get it that people sometimes can't afford cake but it's these people right here that make it impossible for me to survive! I bet they have no business sense what so ever. There's just noooo way! Anyone else have this problem? Lol. This gal ain't makin money I can bet all my cake supplies lol

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 3:07pm
post #24 of 57

i suggest that you remove her phone number--and any identification

candiandi Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 3:16pm
post #25 of 57

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

i suggest that you remove her phone number--and any identification

 

thanks for that lol I didn't even notice her name or number because I was outraged lol I took it down all together but seriously-10.00 a dozen for cupcakes? I have no chance here in ghost town lol

ugcjill Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 6:29pm
post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by candiandi 
 

-All very good points :)  That is very true-I have spent hours on something adding little things here and there :/  THAT was when I started....I would spend a long time drawing up ideas etc...now I could really care less (I care but I don't spend too much time on them)  I keep it simple from now on so I actually make something :)  Like I said before, this is not something I want to make a business out of...If anything it is teaching me a long the way (college gives no hands on experience lol)  I wanted to make this legal and legit but when I realized that this area is not good for something like this, I decided to just keep it on the side.  Still a good learning experience though when you are always thinking of ways to cut costs and make money :)  My real issue is the cost to make these cakes...I am using butter milk and sour cream etc...that stuff is not cheap...and good butter-WOW  expensive.....I did cut my icing from pure butter to half Crisco because honestly I liked it better that way.  Other than that, I can't cut anything else out :/  Maybe I could use aluminum foil wrapped boards and saran wrap for delivery instead of a box? lol jk

 

Even if you ARE just keeping this on the side, you are producing a food product in your home against the law if you are not "legal and legit", as you put it.

 

Sour cream is a pdf and restricted from home use. Are you using proper sanitization procedures? Because you can kill someone.

 

Are you paying taxes on your income? I'm in PA, I know the laws here. Sales tax is required, home inspections are required, licenses are required, I know what's allowed in recipes and what's not, and I know that people get sick from improperly made food.

 

I hope I sound as harsh as I mean to. You have posted this to the Business forum and are now flaunting your illegal status. Your flippant attitude diminishes all of us here who work with professionalism and responsibility. I take my customers' health and safety very seriously, I take my business very seriously, and I would never use people's health as a learning curve in any way.

 

There are an estimated 48 million cases of food poisoning every year in the US, 128,000 will need to be hospitilized, and 3,000 people will die. Every single one of those illnesses and deaths was preventable.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 6:48pm
post #27 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugcjill 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by candiandi 
 

-All very good points :)  That is very true-I have spent hours on something adding little things here and there :/  THAT was when I started....I would spend a long time drawing up ideas etc...now I could really care less (I care but I don't spend too much time on them)  I keep it simple from now on so I actually make something :)  Like I said before, this is not something I want to make a business out of...If anything it is teaching me a long the way (college gives no hands on experience lol)  I wanted to make this legal and legit but when I realized that this area is not good for something like this, I decided to just keep it on the side.  Still a good learning experience though when you are always thinking of ways to cut costs and make money :)  My real issue is the cost to make these cakes...I am using butter milk and sour cream etc...that stuff is not cheap...and good butter-WOW  expensive.....I did cut my icing from pure butter to half Crisco because honestly I liked it better that way.  Other than that, I can't cut anything else out :/  Maybe I could use aluminum foil wrapped boards and saran wrap for delivery instead of a box? lol jk

 

Even if you ARE just keeping this on the side, you are producing a food product in your home against the law if you are not "legal and legit", as you put it.

 

Sour cream is a pdf and restricted from home use. Are you using proper sanitization procedures? Because you can kill someone.

 

Are you paying taxes on your income? I'm in PA, I know the laws here. Sales tax is required, home inspections are required, licenses are required, I know what's allowed in recipes and what's not, and I know that people get sick from improperly made food.

 

I hope I sound as harsh as I mean to. You have posted this to the Business forum and are now flaunting your illegal status. Your flippant attitude diminishes all of us here who work with professionalism and responsibility. I take my customers' health and safety very seriously, I take my business very seriously, and I would never use people's health as a learning curve in any way.

 

There are an estimated 48 million cases of food poisoning every year in the US, 128,000 will need to be hospitilized, and 3,000 people will die. Every single one of those illnesses and deaths was preventable.

 

could we tone this down, please -- there is no reason to respond so strongly as if she were baking razer blades and rat poison in her cakes and selling them to children in the alley behind the school -- she is asking for help to get herself launched -- she's not lizzy baking borden -- she is not flippant nor flauntant -- she is asking for help

candiandi Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 7:04pm
post #28 of 57

ummmmm...ugcjill-you need to simmer down a bit.  I am well aware of the laws in the state of Pennsylvania.  I DO follow the cottage law restrictions etc....I am in the PROCESS of having my application approved.  I never said I was running a business.  As others have mentioned, I am STARTING OUT.  There is no law that says I can't bake for close friends and relatives and receive a donation-as I have already questioned this as well.  As for flaunting my illegal practices?  I am not here flaunting this; I am seeking help! Go elsewhere with your prude a** for real.  Since when has someone died over a POUND CAKE? IF I don't get approved then I won't continue with this-it's that simple.  I am trying to get ahead of the game is all, and congratulations for running a proper business-I really applaud you, and I am rather confident that you accept some cash and keep it on the hush hush ;)  

ugcjill Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 7:15pm
post #29 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 
 

 

could we tone this down, please -- there is no reason to respond so strongly as if she were baking razer blades and rat poison in her cakes and selling them to children in the alley behind the school -- she is asking for help to get herself launched -- she's not lizzy baking borden -- she is not flippant nor flauntant -- she is asking for help

I didn't respond strongly to someone asking for help, I responded to this

 

Just had a lady today that again, has BOUGHT cake from me, ask me to make her cupcakes. I said 15.00 a dozen (like she didn't know) and she said "wow, your cakes are so worth it but I think I will make them myself" What an awful thing to say! It is an absolute slap in the face when a previous customer is complaining about price lol.

 

and this

 

"I wanted to make this legal and legit but when I realized that this area is not good for something like this, I decided to just keep it on the side."

 

After her last comment, I'm now pretty sure she's a troll.

candiandi Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 7:29pm
post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugcjill 
 

I didn't respond strongly to someone asking for help, I responded to this

 

Just had a lady today that again, has BOUGHT cake from me, ask me to make her cupcakes. I said 15.00 a dozen (like she didn't know) and she said "wow, your cakes are so worth it but I think I will make them myself" What an awful thing to say! It is an absolute slap in the face when a previous customer is complaining about price lol.

 

and this

 

"I wanted to make this legal and legit but when I realized that this area is not good for something like this, I decided to just keep it on the side."

 

After her last comment, I'm now pretty sure she's a troll.

yeah, you are correct-a TROLL! lol  listen-the "customer" I speak of is my neighbor, but I didn't think I needed to explain myself.  She has changed my diapers as a child.  I call these people my "customers" because what else am I supposed to call them when I am asking a question about starting a business?  You know how many people do this on the side and never make it legal?  It's funny because when I called my insurance company to get a quote for this, they laughed and told me they have NEVER experienced this kind of honesty.  I am sorry but I started baking for family only.  When someone who is a friend or not my relative wants a custom cake to their liking, I am not doing it for free.  I haven't even made enough to report it so really, what are you trying to do here? Just stop..you sound like the idiots that message me wanting 5 tier wedding cakes for 50 bucks.  OH and on another note-I have spoken to my regional officer regarding all of this and he is well aware that I am still baking prior to my approval.  I have nothing to hide-yall wanna shut me down? then shut me down lol I may stop drinking and my stress level will decrease tremendously :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%