Making A Vehicle Cake Need Some Ideas For "bull Bars"

Decorating By Tinyredfrog Updated 15 Jun 2014 , 8:11pm by Tinyredfrog

Tinyredfrog Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 1:55am
post #1 of 3

AHi everyone, I'm fairly new to this forum ;o) I'm attempting to make a robotic vehicle cake with 6" rugged tires and bull bars.

The cake will be made from slab layered and covered in fondant (approx 5 layers) 7" high. So it's going to be a monster of a cake! Fingers crossed.

My question is any suggestions for making two bull bars and what materials to use that won't tear up the cake or fall apart? I'm thinking either strong florist wire and some kind of foam or something similar?

I look forward to your input!

2 replies
sha1col Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 3

Well using 100% gum paste may not work since you're making a decent size cake.  How about rice krispie treats molded into the shape of bull bars and then covered with fondant and gum paste.  The more gum paste you use the quicker it will dry.  Yesterday I made a bow using gum paste and fondant, based on the amount of fondant (about 12 ozs maybe, could be a little less) I used about 1/4 of that amount in gum paste.  This morning my bow was not rock hard, still a tad bit soft in places.  It's been almost 24 hrs since I made it.  Hope this helps.

Tinyredfrog Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 3

AThank you for the greatly appreciated input! I was toying with the idea of rice krispie and fondant but was a little worried it would flop in this weather, but covering with gumpaste or using some tylose in the fondant may well help. I am very grateful for you taking the time to answer my request xoox

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%