How Much Would You Charge For This Cake??

Decorating By rosa1110 Updated 14 Jun 2014 , 8:17pm by -K8memphis

rosa1110 Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 5

A[ATTACHMENT=1744]20140613_171723.jpg (191k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Hi every one, so I had a customer order a cake and this is what I scetched out for her. It's a Lv handbag in the center with four half moon shapes all covered in fondant with two gumpaste heels on the two back and gumpaste make-up on two front ones. I charged her $260. She thinks it too much, I think there is a lot of details in this cake. Did I over charge? What would you have charged??

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 5

if the purse is laying down (2-d) you've done a respectable job with your pricing --

if the purse is standing up (3-d) then she needs to realize she's getting a steal of a deal --

how many servings here? what sizes are your cakes?

rosa1110 Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 5

A:-( Thanks for the reply, the purse is 3D, I was going to use 4-8" cakes and 1-10" cake for the purse. I think I under charged her :-(

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 5

so approx 90 servings give or take--that's almost $3 a serving--a little on the low side to me --

--so each cake is 4" deep -- and the purse is standing cut side down like a half moon--it's only 5" tall --it is 3-d but while she is getting a great deal-- you have small enough servings that it's not so bad-- could be worse-- you're ok -- the beauty is you already know you're on the low side--you'll be ready for next time --

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 5

if you can find the customers you can charge a pretty penny for something like this:

know what though for next time--i'd bake a loaf pan and make it into a shoe box, set the shoes on that --

and make the purse cake two tier, set it up just like a tier cake and decorate it like a purse--use the same half moons if you want--you'd need to bake an additional 8" square(or two really) that you would need to carve up to fit under your 10x4 half moons (10x4 is the footprint of course) -- might have a little left over there out of the 8 inchers -- sink one or two skewer type dowels all the way through the board into some foam that you have placed underneath the bottom board so the purse has a chance to stay standing on the delivery/ride home--in fact if you use the half moon set up i'd use 4 skewers-- in addition to the dowels & internal board needed to hold up the two tiers --

the shish kabob skewers that are have a pointy tip and are real skinny--they don't really take up servings but hold great--

make up mirror/vanity--cut a round 8" cake off center and set the bigger section cut side down and the smaller section flat--so you can make the tall section into a 'mirror' and the flat section into the top of a vanity and put all your make up and stuff on that--(might wanna tort the flat section and just use half of it)

hope that translates well--

just got carried away with your order :-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%