Support For 3D Cake ?

Decorating By jumjum Updated 23 Jun 2014 , 5:40pm by mattyeatscakes

jumjum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jumjum Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 10

AHi ! I'm making a 3D minion for my sons first birthday but I'm having trouble figuring out how should I stack the cakes.

Its going to have 6- 6" cakes. The question is if it would be safer to stack 3 cakes then cakeboard and the final three layers? Or just go with 2 cakes/cakeboard -2 cakes/cake board and final 2 cakes? (Does that make sense? Lol)

TIA

9 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 10

I would do 3 stacks of two layers each.  That will make cutting and serving a whole lot simpler.  If you do the layers 3 cakes high it will be hard to cut and fit on a cake plate.

jumjum Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 10

A

Original message sent by denetteb

I would do 3 stacks of two layers each.  That will make cutting and serving a whole lot simpler.  If you do the layers 3 cakes high it will be hard to cut and fit on a cake plate.

Thank you for your reply. I'm going with your suggestion, it never came to my mind about the cutting part :-)

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 3:10am
post #4 of 10

AAlso, to save you from carving, you can bake one layer of cake in a wilton ball pan (half) or in a small glass oven safe bowl (pyrex). It'll fit on top of a 6" cake. That's how i did mine :) happy caking!

jumjum Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 10

A

Original message sent by mattyeatscakes

Also, to save you from carving, you can bake one layer of cake in a wilton ball pan (half) or in a small glass oven safe bowl (pyrex). It'll fit on top of a 6" cake. That's how i did mine :) happy caking!

Your minion is adorable...I haven't baked in a pyrex bowl before, do the edges get dry? O should I bake it longer at a lower temp?

mattyeatscakes Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 12:57am
post #6 of 10

AThanks :) no the edges do not get dry esp since you are using a small bowl. But yes, do lower your baking temp to 325 and increase your baking time. Tc!

jumjum Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 1:17am
post #7 of 10

AThank you! I will follow your advise and post a picture once its done.

jumjum Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 10

AOk so here it is.. I followed your advise and used the pyrex bowl since I don't own a ball pan, I think it came out ok, although the ganache underneath was melting :-( ......I had the great idea to take the cake to the park at 5pm with 99° Texas heat ( really bad idea!!) My son was happy regardless :-) [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3253915/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

P.d Sorry for the ugly picture and background. We were in such a rush it was the only picture I could take.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 3:14pm
post #9 of 10

You did a great job, well done.

mattyeatscakes Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 10

AAwww that's cute!!! Awesome job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%