Baking Strips Help

Decorating By customcakesbysa Updated 14 Jun 2014 , 4:22pm by customcakesbysa

customcakesbysa Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 3:03am
post #1 of 10

I've seen lots of videos & such of both the Wilton Bake-Easy strips & homemade varieties.  I made my own from a bath towel & tried them twice this week, both with the same results.  I've added extra bake time and pull the cake when it seems done - top bounces back, tooth pic comes out clean, but each time, the bottom and sides are very wet still, completely unusable.  What could I be doing wrong?  The first time the cakes did come out very flat, second time a small dome.  TIA!

9 replies
denetteb Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 3:29am
post #2 of 10

How many layers of toweling do you have in your strips?  What temp are you baking?  With the strips I can see that the sides could still be undone but not sure what to think about the bottom.

MBalaska Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 3:35am
post #3 of 10

So, what you have learned is that using your towels is not the same as using baking strips. I'll pass on a quote here from another thread.........................

Originally Posted by shanter 

I fold up a few sheets of newspaper, soak them in water, wrap aluminum foil around them so the newspaper doesn't dry out, and attached them to the cake pan with binder clips. Always a success.

customcakesbysa Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 3:46am
post #4 of 10

Baking at 350.  I think on these pans it ends up being 2 layers of towel.

I just ran across a video using the wet paper towels & foil earlier tonight.  I'm going to try that as well.

AZCouture Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 3:55am
post #5 of 10

ATry baking at 325, I bake everything I at that temp. Might add s few minutes to the baking time, but it helps the cake not puff up so much in the middle.

denetteb Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 4:23am
post #6 of 10

I have been using the towel version for years.  I like that I can use them over and over again without messing with newspaper or paper towels and aluminum foil.  Wet your towels and wring them out really well.  The first time I used them I only lightly wrung them out and they insulated too well and the sides were unbaked when the center was done.  The next time I wrung them more and it was fine.  If my strips are too long for the size pan I just roll them in a little roll and set them right by the  pan, I don't circle them around more.  I figure that will also insulate too much.  I also bake and 325 for longer time.  Give them a try again.  Also the towel I used was an old crappy one.  Did you use a nice new fluffy one?  If so, it may be insulating too much.

cazza1 Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 5:49am
post #7 of 10

I tried the towels and they dried out and started smoking and were just short of catching on fire.  Have never been game to try again.

customcakesbysa Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 10

AMaybe I left them too wet. I was just nervous about them catching fire.

denetteb Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 10

If you left them too wet, that will leave the edges undone based on my experience.  You can either wring more, take the strips off before the cake is done and let it finish without the strips, or just buy the Wilton ones so you don't have to worry about them.  I do find that with my strips, 325 oven and a metal flower nail in cakes 9 or so inches or bigger that I never level, they come out flat.

customcakesbysa Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 10

AI just learned about the inverted flower nail trick searching the forums last night too. I'll give it another shot in the next few days & see if I can get it right. Thanks for all the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%