How Do I Create This "orchid" In Buttercream?

Decorating By Apti Updated 15 Jun 2014 , 3:58am by Apti

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 2:00am
post #1 of 7

This is a stock photo of a cupcake I saw when I was reading an article about the "cupcake law" in Illinois.
Here is a link to the article:

http://www.commdiginews.com/politics-2/conservative/local-illinois-government-officials-shut-down-6th-graders-cupcake-business-5899/

I LOVE the look of this flower, but can't quite get my head around the technique/tip used to create the flower.

Any suggestions?    Thanks!

6 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 2:27am
post #2 of 7

probably a rose tip and just a twist of the cupcake with a sweeping motion of the tip.......making three petals without lifting the tip.

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3158790/a/3436443/jumbo-cupcakes-smbc-gold-painted-fondant/

much like the inside ring of these.......only instead of making 5 or 6 petals just make the three...............

(that's my best guess) :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 2:55am
post #3 of 7

Actually I think there are only 2 petals.  A short one is piped 1st covering about 1/3rd of the top, then the 2nd one partly goes over the 1st but takes up about 2/3 of the finished flower - meeting the 1st petal at the top and bottom and leaves a small hole in the center.  I agree it probably is a rose tip - 103 or 104.  Think of the cupcake as a flower nail.  Turn it as you would the nail while piping out a ribbon of icing.  HTH :)

MBalaska Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 3:28am
post #4 of 7

Orchid, Phalaenopsis, Moth Orchid

google a photo of this flower.  It is the closest to the buttercream flower that I could find, in shape & color.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 4:06am
post #5 of 7

AI only see one continuous strip of buttercream, unless it's my phone screen playing tricks on me.

MBalaska Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, that's what I meant. To pipe it in one continuous strip without breaking off the icing just keep it moving in a circle.  That's how I made my cupcake flowers.   You can wriggle the tip to give some shape and form to make it look like individual petals, but it's actually one strip.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 3:58am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%