Yellowish Mmf Made With Rhonda'a Ultimate Recipe

Decorating By mellee2012 Updated 13 Jun 2014 , 3:24pm by mellee2012

mellee2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee2012 Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 5

I looked for fixes, but not sure what to do.  It has a yellow tint, I think the lemon juice is the issue.  I need two different shades of light blue and white for this cake.  Should I make it white by adding white or maybe violet and then work on the blue colors?  I am thinking on the next batch to use just the lemon extract since it is clear and skip the lemon juice all the way around.  I don't want to have to pitch this bath if I can help it.  I am afraid that the if I just try to go blue I will wind up with green.  I have never added color to the MMF.

4 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 5

You are correct it is the lemon juice.  You color MMF just by adding the gel color but you then need to knead it a lot to get the color to blend into the MMF.  If you have white I would try that but I do not think it will make it totally white.  I have heard that violet will balance the yellow but I am not sure if that will work.

silbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silbella Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 5

I wouldn't pitch this batch.  Have you thought of doing some testers with your blues with small pieces of the fondant? That will tell you how it will turn out and you're not committing to the whole batch.  And def use lemon extract instead of the juice.  Good luck!

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 5

AI would go and add white food coloring. I do this and it definitely helps with the yellowish tint. The slight color change normally doesn't really look to far from white but if there's a concern next time you can omit anything yellow and just use clear extracts if you really have to

mellee2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee2012 Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for all the responses, I am going to try and add the white, if it does not fix it then I need a green color for the accents so may i can just use the already yellowish batch for it.  I will definitely only  be using the clear extracts on the next two batches.  This was a lesson learning  for sure.  Glad I do not need the cake till next weekend and have time to fix things.  Thank you for all you help and advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%