Freddy Krueger Glove Help

Decorating By wickeddelish Updated 13 Jun 2014 , 2:04pm by wickeddelish

wickeddelish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wickeddelish Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 4

I have a Freddy cake due this weekend. After many trials and tribulations, I have a rice-krispie-covered-in-fondant Freddy Krueger glove, and it looks exactly how I want it to (save some details I'll do last). I have left grooves for the blades on the tips of the fingers, which I was going to make out of pastillage after failing with fondant, fondant/gumpaste mix, and straight gumpaste. All of these things wouldn't stay upright on the glove, which will be popping out of the cake. They started to sag. Which looks really funny, but isn't going to work on this cake. I made the pastillage 3 nights ago, stored it in an airtight container overnight, it rolled out with no problem, cut out the blade shapes 2 nights ago, they dried until last night. As soon as I picked them up they broke. I thought pastillage was supposed to dry strong and rock-hard? They were very hard, but broke immediately. Does ANYONE have a suggestion for something to use other than the mediums I just listed that I'm maybe overlooking? Any help would be much-appreciated! I need these blades to rock! 

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 2:28am
post #2 of 4

pastillage is like that-- you gotta make extras because it's fickle--

my suggestion is add a considerable amount of cornstarch to some plain old fondant--i once made an old fashioned nurse's cap where it has big flaps that stand straight up and i literally fashioned it and walked out and placed it on the cake as the graduating nursing students were queuing up to the the table-- it stood up great -- no cotton balls to hold anything up -- no time to dry -- 

just knead in a lot of cornstarch-- it should work-- fondant is better than pastillage i think because it still has that little bit of give in it to keep it from getting so brittle-- how thin and curvey though? i'd almost wanna wire it -- idk i'm not super familiar with fk-- 

at home i use a warming drawer to help expedite things but even just a boatload of cornstarch should do it--

best to you

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 7:21am
post #3 of 4

AYou could also try adding quite a lot of CMC/tylose (whatever you have to hand) in to the fondant. Add as much as you dare, you want the paste to be workable but quick-drying, so you might have to experiment a little. Then leave them to dry - maybe as little as an hour or so, and then they are ready to use. Obviously let them dry as long as you can, but if you use lots of CMC they should be dry pretty quickly. I'm surprised gum paste didn't dry hard for you - how long did you leave it to dry before trying to work with the pieces?

wickeddelish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wickeddelish Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks...I let it dry for several DAYS. I should also let you know that the blades a 1/2" thick. I've only recently started using the CMC and I didn't want to overdo it. But I feel like using MORE of it is the only thing I haven't tried yet! I'll see if that works. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%