Wedding Cakes

Business By swtangel102 Updated 12 Jun 2014 , 6:36pm by swtangel102

swtangel102 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swtangel102 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 1:43am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone!  I'm a home baker and stay at home mom.  I've been baking and decorating cakes for almost 2 years now.  This year I'm branching into wedding cakes.  I'm a bit nervous as I'm starting my first one tomorrow.  Any good techniques and experiences anyone wants to share?  I always use italian meringue for crumb coating, however, I'm worried with the warmer weather, it might not hold up.  Any alternative suggestions or should I still stick with it and be ok?  A mommy on a forum I was on suggested to freeze cakes in advance as well as it helps to make the putting together of the cake much easier.  Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated! TIA!

7 replies
sha1col Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sha1col Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 3:09am
post #2 of 8

AI can't speak on freezing the cakes. I would assume it would still have to get back to room temp or near room temp before you ice it. But I do know that refrigerating the cake after crumb coating makes it easier when you do your final coat. When I ice I have a cup large enough for my spatula to fit in and I fill it with VERY hot water to dip my spatula into (I wipe off the excess water) to remove the air bubbles. It makes the cakes sooooo smooth! This may be a technique you already use, but if not...have at it. As far as the heat goes. If your home is cool enough you should be fine. If you're transporting the cake just crank up the AC and you should be fine. Hopes this helps and good luck!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 8

you need to stick to what you know works for you-- now i actually do ice frozen cakes myself but i would not recommend you trying anything new for this project--try new ideas for family or for practice-

you'll do good--deep breath-- take it one step at a time-- best to you

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

i would not recommend you trying anything new for this project--try new ideas for family or for practice-

This is excellent advice. Trying new ideas and techniques is important, but not when working on a customer's order.

swtangel102 Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 11:26am
post #5 of 8

AThanks everyone! Lays hope it turns out well! :)

swtangel102 Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 11:26am
post #6 of 8

ALet's

sweettia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettia Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 12:28pm
post #7 of 8

AYou'll be fine I'm sure Good luck and have fun!

swtangel102 Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you sweetia!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%