Hello Everyone! I Am New To Cake Central!

Decorating By Amanda Cake Updated 18 Jun 2014 , 2:49am by hbquikcomjamesl

Amanda Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amanda Cake Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 1:12am
post #1 of 6

AHi, my name is Amanda! I'm a newbie to this site. All I can say is the main reason I joined this group is for the love of cake decorating and learning new things from members of this skilled group.

Any advice to a newbie on this site?

Appreciate any suggestions

Amanda

5 replies
pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome to CC!

I suggest: make a list of specific things you want to learn about (e.g., gumpaste flowers, home-made fondant, smoothing buttercream, piping borders, painting fondant, modeling chocolate, pan sizes, serving sizes, fillings, etc.). Put that term in the search box at the upper right corner of every page. Hit Enter (or the magnifying glass). Start reading.

There is a ton (several tons) of information here. You don't have to read every thread on a topic, but if you read some, you'll gather the kind of information that is helpful.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 6

Welcome to the squirrel-cage, and look out for the nuts. I think you'll find that there are people here at all skill levels, with lots of questions, and lots of answers.

And to try and steer this a little more on-topic, there's an institution here called the "Friday Night Cake Club," that's kind of like David Letterman's "Stupid Pet Tricks," in that it's an exhibition, not a competition; it's a place to show off cakes you've done recently, where they might be commented-on, but not criticized.

Oh, and I almost forgot: Disco Dust is NOT good eats.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 12:18am
post #4 of 6

And No, we can't tell you how much to charge for a cake.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 2:01am
post #5 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeniseNH 

And No, we can't tell you how much to charge for a cake.

LOL

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 2:49am
post #6 of 6

AAnd if you decide to get into edible printing in-house (rather than farming it out to the local cake supply shop), remember the first two rules of edible printing: 1. You do not run conventional ink in the same printer you use for edible printing. 2. You do NOT run conventional ink in the same printer you use for edible printing. (And you still don't talk about Fight Club. -- I keep alluding to a movie I've never actually seen!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%