Crusting Buttercream

Decorating By dugan625 Updated 11 Jun 2014 , 10:53am by cutiger

dugan625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dugan625 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 5

Help for tonight please!! 

I'm sorry to start a new thread but I've read through so many, I've totally confused myself.  I need a smooth crusted surface to rival fondant (I dislike fondant).  I have found more than one recipe marked as "the perfect crusting" BC.  I need to ice and then make flowers, etc. with same icing if possible. Here are the ones I see most often.  Which one is the better one to use?  Note:  We've had nothing but rain for 3 days causing me more problems :(.

1st Recipe:

2lbs powdered sugar
2 cups crisco shortening

1 pkg dream whip
2 tsp clear vanilla flavoring
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp clear corn syrup
2 Tbsp to ¼ cup flour

Whip up till fluffy. No need for refrigeration but it is fine in the fridge as well. Tastes great, not so sweet and crusts well. I have tried so many and this is now my main buttercream.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2nd Recipe:

2 lb powered sugar
1-1/3 cup crisco
3 tbsp powdered dream whip

2 or 3 Tbsp clear vanilla

1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, for consistency

4 replies
vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 5

AThe second recipe will be stiffer due to less fat, so it will most likely crust better for you. It will be more of a medium to stiff consistency than the first one. You could then smooth it with a hot spatula or a bench scraper let it crust and use the viva method to make it look like fondant. There is a tutorial on this site to use that method

dugan625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dugan625 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you. I'm familiar with the Viva method so that's great.  And I'll be able to pipe with this recipe as well?

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 5

AYes you can.

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 10:53am
post #5 of 5

Replacing water for milk will help as well.  It is very humid where I live and I cannot use milk in the summer.  Replacing the milk with water doesn't affect the taste, just makes the icing firmer and whipped in appearance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%