Crusting Buttercream

Decorating By dugan625 Updated 11 Jun 2014 , 10:53am by cutiger

dugan625 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 5

Help for tonight please!! 

I'm sorry to start a new thread but I've read through so many, I've totally confused myself.  I need a smooth crusted surface to rival fondant (I dislike fondant).  I have found more than one recipe marked as "the perfect crusting" BC.  I need to ice and then make flowers, etc. with same icing if possible. Here are the ones I see most often.  Which one is the better one to use?  Note:  We've had nothing but rain for 3 days causing me more problems :(.

1st Recipe:

2lbs powdered sugar
2 cups crisco shortening

1 pkg dream whip
2 tsp clear vanilla flavoring
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp clear corn syrup
2 Tbsp to ¼ cup flour

Whip up till fluffy. No need for refrigeration but it is fine in the fridge as well. Tastes great, not so sweet and crusts well. I have tried so many and this is now my main buttercream.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2nd Recipe:

2 lb powered sugar
1-1/3 cup crisco
3 tbsp powdered dream whip

2 or 3 Tbsp clear vanilla

1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, for consistency

4 replies
vldutoit Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 5

AThe second recipe will be stiffer due to less fat, so it will most likely crust better for you. It will be more of a medium to stiff consistency than the first one. You could then smooth it with a hot spatula or a bench scraper let it crust and use the viva method to make it look like fondant. There is a tutorial on this site to use that method

dugan625 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you. I'm familiar with the Viva method so that's great.  And I'll be able to pipe with this recipe as well?

vldutoit Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 5

AYes you can.

cutiger Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 10:53am
post #5 of 5

Replacing water for milk will help as well.  It is very humid where I live and I cannot use milk in the summer.  Replacing the milk with water doesn't affect the taste, just makes the icing firmer and whipped in appearance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%