Icing Corners

Decorating By goof9j Updated 14 Jun 2014 , 9:18pm by 2txmedics

goof9j Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 7

Is there a video on how to ice corners of a cake.... I get so frustrated when I have to do corners.....

6 replies
morganchampagne Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 7

AYouTube icing a square cake with sharp corners. Or google it. There's tons of videos. Also I find buying magic line square cake pans really help because the corners come out pretty sharp every time

heartsnsync Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 7

Even with Magic Line pans square cake corners can tend to drag down a wee bit. I combat this with 1) making sure to use a good stiff buttercream as a dam for the filling and 2), I add an additional small squeeze of that stiff buttercream at each corner. The other thing I find helpful is to crumb coat it lightly and let it sit for awhile before attempting to add your final coat of icing. Most important of all, is your icing consistency. I find medium consistency best for me.

AZCouture Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 7

AHonestly, it doesn't matter if the cake is completely round, you can ice it to a sharp square if you do it right. They key is using a good bench scraper, and scraping it off flush to the shape of the board that the cake is sitting on. That's the key. Building it up, scraping it down. Chilling every once in awhile to keep the built up areas straight and solid, and adding more. Using acrylic boards helps too, in that case, you're just filling in the empty spaces and it comes out perfectly.

Google "icing cakes using acrylics" to see what that's about, or find Sift by Kara, she has lots of info about it. I'm not gonna get into it here, easy enough to find the info online.

MBalaska Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 7

" how to ice a square buttercream cake super smooth with perfect corners "  youtube

by Jennifer White

goof9j Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 11:08am
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.  I'm checking them out as we speak ( or type......)

2txmedics Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 7

Plently of Videos on youtube on how to....

Quote by @%username% on %date%