Have You Ever Changed Your Business Name?

Business By cai0311 Updated 10 Jun 2014 , 5:23pm by MimiFix

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 2:39am
post #1 of 9

AWhen I started my business (legal home bakery) I didn't give much thought to the name. In hindsight, that was a bad idea. So 7 years after starting the business I am doing some updates: new website, custom logo design... I figured if I was going to change the name, now is the time.

The pro's are: I get a name I really like The new name does not lock me into only cakes (my old name does)

Con's: I have to track down all the places my old name and email is located online I need a new email address My current and previous clients know me by the old name All my Best Of awards from The Knot and Wedding Wire will have my old name I am published in a magazine under the old name

I know there are more cons than pros, but sometimes it isn't a matter of quantity but weight each reason carries.

I am wondering if anyone has changed their business name.

8 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 2:48am
post #2 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by cai0311 

When I started my business (legal home bakery) I didn't give much thought to the name. In hindsight, that was a bad idea. So 7 years after starting the business I am doing some updates: new website, custom logo design... I figured if I was going to change the name, now is the time.

The pro's are: I get a name I really like
The new name does not lock me into only cakes (my old name does)

Con's: I have to track down all the places my old name and email is located online
I need a new email address
My current and previous clients know me by the old name
All my Best Of awards from The Knot and Wedding Wire will have my old name
I am published in a magazine under the old name

I know there are more cons than pros, but sometimes it isn't a matter of quantity but weight each reason carries.

I am wondering if anyone has changed their business name.

I changed my business name a few months ago. It was a huge pain to re-brand for all the reasons you stated but also for the money it cost to replace business cards, marketing materials, custom logos, letterhead - all the little stuff that adds up. However, it was a good move for my business and I would do it again. A few tips I can give you - hold onto your old domain name and redirect all traffic to your new site. Make sure to have "formerly known as....." at the top of your new page or on your answering machine at least for a while so people won't be confused or think they went to the wrong place. You can change your name on wedding wire, the knot all the wedding sites very easily -- facebook is a huge pain and you may have to start a new page. If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me and I'll share more info on how I handled it!

Good luck, whatever you decide to do! :)

cai0311 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 2:56am
post #3 of 9

AThanks for the reply. I am not on Facebook, so no problem there.

I know I can change my name on The knot and Wedding Wire. I should have been more specific about the Best Of award. I have plaques I use during consultations and bridal shows to showcase these. Those would have my old business name.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 3:07am
post #4 of 9

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I am not on Facebook, so no problem there.

I know I can change my name on The knot and Wedding Wire. I should have been more specific about the Best Of award. I have plaques I use during consultations and bridal shows to showcase these. Those would have my old business name.

In my case, everyone who dealt with me under my old name completely understood the name change. I would still use those plaques at consultations and just explain the name change if asked. If you have the "formerly known as" somewhere on your website, it removes the confusion until you re-establish yourself under your new name. I have a couple magazines I was published in under my old name also, I still use them - still my work, just a different name! I completely understand and don't want to make it sound easy. It was stressful making all the changes to my ein, llc, dba, domain..etc. But the thing that helped me most was to look at the long run. Would it be worth the money, time and stress 6 months or a year or two down the road. For me the answer was yes, maybe that could help you in making your decision! It's a big decision!

cai0311 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 11:57am
post #5 of 9

AThanks.

Anyone else change their business name? Or start the process but decide it was to much of a hassle?

bilbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bilbo Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 9

Quote:

Thanks.

Anyone else change their business name? 

Wow -that was rude. Thanks for taking time to write out a response but yea, not worth the keyboard strokes to me .Anyone else?

cai0311 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 9

AThere was nothing in the post I thought required more than a thanks. The info was exactly what I was looking for, but no questions were ask and nothing needed to be clarified. To me, my "thanks" was sufficient.

As for the anyone else question, I was hoping to get more that one experience. This is a big decision and learning from others in the same boat will be helpful.

Bilbo, in the future, if you have an issue with a post send a PM. It is hard enough to keep a post on track in the forums without pot stirring attention seekers adding pointless posts.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo 

Wow -that was rude. Thanks for taking time to write out a response but yea, not worth the keyboard strokes to me .Anyone else?

Quote:

Thanks.

Anyone else change their business name? Or start the process but decide it was to much of a hassle?

Bilbo, you didn't even quote cai0311 correctly and you were the one that is rude.  We do not want anyone fighting on this board so please in the future...If you can'tsay something nice, keep your mouth shut. ;-D

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 9

Other industries also try doing this. Over a long period of time, Datsun cars underwent a name change - from Datsun to Datsun/Nissan to Nissan. They're still debating if it was worth it. Just an FYI.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%