How To Keep Fondant From Getting Hard

Decorating By Pam7484 Updated 16 Jun 2014 , 2:25pm by Pam7484

Pam7484 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pam7484 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 7

I can't always decorate my cake a couple of hours before the event, how can I keep fondant ruffles soft until the cake is cut. As in a ombre ruffled cake?

6 replies
MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 7

ADon't use gumpaste! maybe that is why they're getting too hard?... use fondant but only with a pinch of CMC or tylose to make the ruffles. I think they will still get hardened but nowhere near inedible. Good luck!

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 7

Fondant will only stay soft and somewhat pliable once exposed to air if it is in contact with buttercream or ganache. On its own, it will air dry stiff and as far as I know you cannot do ruffles and expect them to stay that way without exposure to air. If you were to cover the cake the moisture from within the cake would cause the ruffles to droop.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 7

AShe didn't say she was using gumpaste! Unless she went back and edited her original post...she [B]is[/B] using fondant. And it hardens up, that's just what's gonna happen.

Pam7484 Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you, I love the ruffle cakes but am afraid to try it, as it seems like it will be very difficult to serve.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 3:33am
post #6 of 7

When I make ruffle cakes i usually use a 50/50 combination of fondant and modeling chocolate. That keeps it softer because it doesn't totally harden up. But that style of cake is going to be a pain to cut no matter what you do.

Pam7484 Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 7

That's a great time, thank you so much. I never thought of using both fondant and modeling chocolate together. Genius!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%