Ac Or Fan?

Decorating By Claire138 Updated 10 Jun 2014 , 8:48am by Claire138

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know if it is better for cakes to be in front of or in a room where there is AC or a fan? I've read conflicting things about both so am not sure. We are in the midst of some really muggy weather in low 90's and I'm wondering what is the best one to use? I've tried with the AC but haven't seen much of a discernible difference. My AC is only a portable one and not very strong even though with the door of the room where the cakes are shut the room does get very cool. I don't have a fan but am happy to buy one if it will be better for the cakes.

Any thoughts?

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 6

i only use a fan to cool cakes off-- i just remembered an old story--

i was icing a massive cake, probably an 18" on the turntable and i had the fan on because it was quite hot and when i was finally completing that tier-- y'know it's like you never can get 'round to the starting point so dang looong--finally i got there--the icing at the starting point had started to melt from the convection effect of the fan and the heat--  :lol:

so i'd avoid the use of a fan unless you can blow nice cold air--heheheh--

maybe that's why i started fridging all my cakes --

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 6

if i could not keep my cake in the fridge i would hope i could chill it well then store it in a corrugated cardboard box with an ice pack in there--enclosed--then just change out the ice packs so it stays cold--so you're creating a climate controlled little cake sized area--or you could use ice cubes too-- be careful of the condensation either way--

Claire138 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 6

Hmmm, I hear you; unfortunately the fridge idea is a no go and I think I'd be too nervous to try the ice packs. Ugh, I hate this humidity - even before I started caking and now even more so. Thanks though:sad:

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 6

i wrap my ice pack in a paper towel--slide that into a zip lock plastic bag and i've wired them into the corners of delivery boxes or when i've used plastic boxes to deliver the cake i can just place them on top--all that then gets slid into the corrugated box--

you could place that plastic bag in the bottom of the box--turn a cake pan upside down over that then place the cake on top of that--

test it when you get a chance-- i use cakes already cold throughout but it would work to keep things more climate controlled than a fan or an air conditioned room--

best to you!

Claire138 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 8:48am
post #6 of 6

I love the idea of the upside pan K8 thanks! Am going to try it for a cake today & see how it goes,

Claire

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%