Help!!how Do I Do This?

Decorating By bobhope Updated 12 Jun 2014 , 3:08am by bobhope

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 7:56am
post #1 of 6

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3248021/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Sorry I really don't have much time to google or search here but I just realized I don't know how to go about covering the cake with this petal looking fondant, see bottom tier (I know it sounds stupid. I thought I got it all figured out.should I dry it first before attaching it to the cake? The shape won't hold if it's still fresh. II'm afraid too it won't stick if I dry the petals first.. hope someone can help me. Cake is due tom :( .. thanks!!

5 replies
Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 8:04am
post #2 of 6

ANo, don't dry it first. It should hold it's shape pretty well but you can use toothpicks to hold it in place while it dries a bit. Stick it to the fondant with edible glue or piping gel. Good luck! Although I would advise making sure you know how to complete all the elements on a cake before you accept the order xxx

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 8:08am
post #3 of 6

AYou could also try a 50/50 mix of fondant and gum paste, as you can then roll it more thinly, and it will hold its shape better and dry more quickly. But I agree, it's very late to be finding out that you can't achieve this effect. Always try a new effect out well in advance of a cake order being due....much less stress this way!

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 10:17am
post #4 of 6

Or use chocolate clay which is great for holding it's shape and you can adjust it easily once it is on the cake too.

shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 10:51am
post #5 of 6

A

Original message sent by kkmcmahan

Or use chocolate clay which is great for holding it's shape and you can adjust it easily once it is on the cake too.

Yes, I agree with this. Use modeling chocolate.

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 3:08am
post #6 of 6

AThanks to all for your quick reply.. everything actually went well. I just thought at first my idea/technique of doing it wouldn't work hence this post, but it did. Sorry Nadiaa if I gave you the impression that I don't know what I'm doing.. it's just this is the first time I encountered this kind of design. Just wanna have some more ideas from others. Luckily, my technique went well.. definitely toothpick won't do as it will most likely tear the the fondant. I used tissue to keep shape of fondant. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%