Sliding Cake

Decorating By valleycakes559 Updated 18 Jun 2014 , 2:36pm by cai0311

valleycakes559 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valleycakes559 Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 5:40am
post #1 of 12

The bottom of my cake is sliding off. I'm not sure if its cause my pastry cream is too soft or because my cake is too heavy or maybe its too hot and its butter cream around the edge???? Its a 3 tier cake but only the bottom is messed up.

11 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 6:12am
post #2 of 12

ACould you post a picture? Sometimes it helps usto see the problem

valleycakes559 Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 6:25am
post #3 of 12

valleycakes559 Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 6:26am
post #4 of 12

ok i did

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 12

~ Did you put a dam around your filling between the layers?

~ What kind of support system are your using? (dowels, straws, sps, etc.)

valleycakes559 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 12

Yes I put a simple buttercream dam and i used dowels in all the cakes. 5 in each cake. I was thinking it was because she put it in the back seat for a 30 min drive???

eendy89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eendy89 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 12:05am
post #7 of 12

Bottom tier should be layered with hard fillings such as buttercream and choco buttercream.. pastry cream,whipped cream,  and lemon curd are not the way to go. If costumer insists, you make buttercream rings to support the layers and you MUST use dowels for a 3 tier cake. Try to refrigerate the cake for as long as possible. hope this helps.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 1:07am
post #8 of 12

AYou most certainly can use fillings like that in any tier you want, top [B]or[/B] bottom tier. If they aren't dammed properly, and the supports aren't sturdy enough, then you [B]will[/B] have a problem. But saying those kind of fillings aren't ok for bottom tiers is just not true.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 1:08am
post #9 of 12

A[@]valleycakes559[/@], is that for a customer? Have you made tiered cakes prior to this?

Valscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valscake Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 2:57am
post #10 of 12

It looks like you needed to do a dam and also, you may have used too much filling....When you do the dam,you should use super thick buttercream and only a thin layer of filling.

valleycakes559 Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 4:35am
post #11 of 12

I did use a dam and sticks in the middle, but im thinking the filling was too fluffy. and yes it was for a family member

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 2:36pm
post #12 of 12

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleycakes559 

Yes I put a simple buttercream dam and i used dowels in all the cakes. 5 in each cake. I was thinking it was because she put it in the back seat for a 30 min drive???

My guess would be that the cake, while sitting in the back seat, was at a slight angle causing the weight of the cake to shift. Cakes should always travel on a flat surface (the floor of the cake, trunk...) with a non slip mat under them.

Any filling can be used as long as a there is a buttercream dam - which you stated there was. I am not sure what you mean by "sticks" as supports. Could you please clarify?

Did you have a dowel all inserted all the way through the cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%