Is Sweetened Condensed Milk Stable?

Decorating By johnbailey64 Updated 7 Jun 2014 , 9:40pm by johnbailey64

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 4:53am
post #1 of 9

I need a coconut filling. I'm thinking about just mixing coconut flakes in with condensed milk. Maybe adding a bit of Bavarian cream (tube type) to make it go a bit further.

I'm thinking it should be stable for at least 24 hrs. Agree?

The cake is for Saturday, I went to our cake shop today to get a tube of the coconut filling and they were out!

The person who wants the cake says they don't like the kind of coconut filling that is home made, so I want to do something different than the usual home made filling recipe. It is for a friend, so no biggie . 

Condensed milk and coconut sounds yummy to me.

I'm thinking almond joy kind of mixture, but thinner.

8 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 7:52am
post #2 of 9

AHow about a white ganche made with creamed coconut and coconut milk?

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 9:44am
post #3 of 9

AI bought a tin of cocomut milk once and didn't shake it before I opened it, it spooned out like thick cream, really cocomutty, put some in my buttercream, delicious!

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 9:44am
post #4 of 9

AI make a coconut filling that tastes similar to a bounty bar. It had coconut cream, white chocolate and coconut. It's pretty yummy.

mzteaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mzteaze Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 9

AActually coconut flakes and sweetened condensed milk are used in the traditional icing for German chocolate cake. The only thing that's missing is the pecans. Should be delicious.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 9

I have made German Chocolate cake for over 20 years and the icing does not use sweet and condensed milk, it uses evaporated milk. Perhaps you mixed the 2 up in your mind? I have to be careful when I see baking soda and baking powder as I will tend to mix them up.  I would use the coconut milk , thicken it with arrowroot or flour to thicken it or make a vanilla custard using the coconut milk and put coconut in it. Sound like a wonderful filling.

johnbailey64 Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 9

AI'm not sure I can get coconut milk where I live. I'll call the grocery. Gotta get it done this morning. So - sweetened condensed milk stability?

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 3:11pm
post #8 of 9

I work a lot with Sweetened Condenced milk I woldn`t say it is stable uunless you dump a lot of stuff in there it will be running and thin. 2 sticks if unsalted butter (softened, bring to room temp., about 2 hours) whipped with 1 can (14oz.) of condensed milk would make it stable enough, then add shredded coconut and mix with spoon to be blend in.

johnbailey64 Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 9

AThanks. I ended up chopping the coconut thinner then pouring in the condensed milk. It was runny. I added a little Bavarian cream I had left over, and some almond flavored buttercream. It was delicious but still runny. I put a thin layer of buttercream under it and used a stiff dam.

Turned out my buttercream ruffles were also a challenge. Maybe should have let the first coat sit longer. It pulled down a bit on one side. [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3247373/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%