Is Sweetened Condensed Milk Stable?

Decorating By johnbailey64 Updated 7 Jun 2014 , 9:40pm by johnbailey64

johnbailey64 Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 4:53am
post #1 of 9

I need a coconut filling. I'm thinking about just mixing coconut flakes in with condensed milk. Maybe adding a bit of Bavarian cream (tube type) to make it go a bit further.

I'm thinking it should be stable for at least 24 hrs. Agree?

The cake is for Saturday, I went to our cake shop today to get a tube of the coconut filling and they were out!

The person who wants the cake says they don't like the kind of coconut filling that is home made, so I want to do something different than the usual home made filling recipe. It is for a friend, so no biggie . 

Condensed milk and coconut sounds yummy to me.

I'm thinking almond joy kind of mixture, but thinner.

8 replies
Crazy-Gray Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 7:52am
post #2 of 9

AHow about a white ganche made with creamed coconut and coconut milk?

maisie73 Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 9:44am
post #3 of 9

AI bought a tin of cocomut milk once and didn't shake it before I opened it, it spooned out like thick cream, really cocomutty, put some in my buttercream, delicious!

Danilou Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 9:44am
post #4 of 9

AI make a coconut filling that tastes similar to a bounty bar. It had coconut cream, white chocolate and coconut. It's pretty yummy.

mzteaze Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 9

AActually coconut flakes and sweetened condensed milk are used in the traditional icing for German chocolate cake. The only thing that's missing is the pecans. Should be delicious.

cakegrandma Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 9

I have made German Chocolate cake for over 20 years and the icing does not use sweet and condensed milk, it uses evaporated milk. Perhaps you mixed the 2 up in your mind? I have to be careful when I see baking soda and baking powder as I will tend to mix them up.  I would use the coconut milk , thicken it with arrowroot or flour to thicken it or make a vanilla custard using the coconut milk and put coconut in it. Sound like a wonderful filling.

johnbailey64 Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 9

AI'm not sure I can get coconut milk where I live. I'll call the grocery. Gotta get it done this morning. So - sweetened condensed milk stability?

Natka81 Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 3:11pm
post #8 of 9

I work a lot with Sweetened Condenced milk I woldn`t say it is stable uunless you dump a lot of stuff in there it will be running and thin. 2 sticks if unsalted butter (softened, bring to room temp., about 2 hours) whipped with 1 can (14oz.) of condensed milk would make it stable enough, then add shredded coconut and mix with spoon to be blend in.

johnbailey64 Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 9

AThanks. I ended up chopping the coconut thinner then pouring in the condensed milk. It was runny. I added a little Bavarian cream I had left over, and some almond flavored buttercream. It was delicious but still runny. I put a thin layer of buttercream under it and used a stiff dam.

Turned out my buttercream ruffles were also a challenge. Maybe should have let the first coat sit longer. It pulled down a bit on one side. [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3247373/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%