Funfetti! Can Non-Pareils Work?

Decorating By JackiSto Updated 7 Jun 2014 , 7:52pm by theresaf

JackiSto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiSto Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 11:57am
post #1 of 10

Hello Everyone!

I am making 50 funfetti cupcakes this weekend and was hoping for opinions... I HATE the look of jimmies in cake... to me it just looks like someone threw sprinkles into a cake mix, and not like funfetti... I got specific colors of non-pareils and was all ready to get going when I saw someone on here mention that they thought the non-pareils are too small and don't give much color... Has anyone used non-pareils successfully? 

9 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 10

AI don't think the color of the non pareils will be as noticable as the color from jimmies. And funfetti should be colorful.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 10

You might want to test this first, those non-pareils are hard - is it going to make the cupcake crunchy and less appetizing? I know when I bite into something I'm not expecting to be crunchy and I feel something, I'm always afraid it's my tooth!  

I'm curious how they turn out - please let us know!

Theresa

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 10

Ahi, you might want to try the colorful little candy coated choc chips. they are really cute and are not as hard as non pariels. they work great in cakes and even buttercream frosting.

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 3:39am
post #5 of 10

I've used them instead of jimmies a few times but the colors start to bleed almost instantly so be careful not to over mix

JackiSto Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 10

ATesso, the girl i'm making them for wanted half chocolate half funfetti, so i don't want to add chocolate to her funfetti since i think she was trying to give people a chocoless option :)

Man, bakernoob you weren't kidding... it wasn't even ALMOST instantaneous... it WAS instantaneous! Lol the first batch, I dumped them in and before I even started to stir, they bled and I wound up with completely purple batter after only about three strokes... so I went back with a new batch of batter and dug out my cupcake pen... did a layer in the bottom of each liner, and sprinkled, another layer and sprinkled, golden oreo, sprinkled etc... it seemed to keep the colors contained! They are in the oven now, and I will post a pic when they are done! Thanks so much!

JackiSto Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 10

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3247137/width/200/height/400[/IMG] So this was batch #1 (stirred)... yucky yucky!

JackiSto Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 1:08pm
post #8 of 10

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3247139/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

This was the sprinkled batch... much better... I am going to have to use A LOT MORE nonpareils, but now I know the process I need to use!

JackiSto Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 1:10pm
post #9 of 10

AOh, and theresaf, the candy bits had mostly melted away... I only got a little crunchy on top, but no crunchy through the cake!

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 10

AThanks for the update!! Theresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%