Where To Buy Heavy Cream?

Business By es329 Updated 5 Jun 2014 , 10:26am by Natka81

es329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
es329 Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 9

AWhere is the best/cheapest place to buy heavy cream? What brand has the highest fat percent? I've been getting mine at walmart but I'm wondering if there's a better place to get it.

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 9

What is sometimes referred to as heavy cream is simply whipping cream.  To advise you further we need to know what  it's being used for/in.

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 12:24am
post #3 of 9

O. P. are you talking about Heavy whipping cream? I buy it at Wallmart, Greatvalue brand, or Costco Land-o-lakes. From my experience with it, Great Value brand whips up better.  Are you using it for filling? I am using it as filling( not by it self of course) for my cakes.

slun4ogledka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slun4ogledka Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 12:54am
post #4 of 9

Sam's Club - so far the best price - $3.75  for a pint ( it went up last week:(( ) and 36% butter fat . I don't think the Walmart brand has enough fat in it . It still whips but it is not that stiff .  Natka81 , do you recall how much does it cost at Costco ? And what is the butterfat  content ?   I have always wondered :) 

2ndGenerationCakeDesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2ndGenerationCakeDesign Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 1:18am
post #5 of 9

I get mine at Costco and it is $4.99. It is 35%. Whips up nice and cheapest around here. 

Natka81 Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 1:28am
post #6 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by slun4ogledka 

Sam's Club - so far the best price - $3.75  for a pint ( it went up last week:(( ) and 36% butter fat . I don't think the Walmart brand has enough fat in it . It still whips but it is not that stiff .  Natka81 , do you recall how much does it cost at Costco ? And what is the butterfat  content ?   I have always wondered :) 

It`s about same price( 3.79). Fat content ? It doesn`t say on carton box. I went to their website it says 36%-40%

We don`t have Sams club around here ( 1 hour away),  If Sam`s club brand has higher content fat then it is best to use.

We have Amish creamery here and they have heavy whipping cream which has high fat content but it`s like 3 times more expensive then store brands.

How about Organic Valley Brand?

Borden?

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 1:34am
post #7 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by es329 

Where is the best/cheapest place to buy heavy cream? What brand has the highest fat percent? I've been getting mine at walmart but I'm wondering if there's a better place to get it.

The best heavy cream that you're looking for with a high fat content might not be the cheapest. Milk fat is expensive that's why some heavy cream has added carrageenan to thicken it up. It will cost cheaper but it will not have a high fat content.

es329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
es329 Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 5:47am
post #8 of 9

A

Original message sent by Natka81

O. P. are you talking about Heavy whipping cream? I buy it at Wallmart, Greatvalue brand, or Costco Land-o-lakes. From my experience with it, Great Value brand whips up better.  Are you using it for filling? I am using it as filling( not by it self of course) for my cakes.

Yes, heavy whipping cream. I'm using it to cover tres leches cakes. I've also been using the great value brand.

Seems like the kind I used to buy worked better but I'm not positive.

Natka81 Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 10:26am
post #9 of 9

O. P have you tried to add Whipped cream Stabilizer? Dr. Oetker "Whip it" stabilizer for whipping cream?

Also, I agree with what  Thecakewhitch  said.

Check around your area for bakery supplies warehouse maybe the have something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%