210 Cupcakes...where Do I Start?

Decorating By chocaholikk Updated 24 Jun 2014 , 6:40pm by chocaholikk

chocaholikk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocaholikk Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 11:55pm
post #31 of 54

A

Original message sent by hbquikcomjamesl

For some reason, I suddenly find myself thinking about the "Square Candies that Look Round" gag, from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. (I forget: did that one make it into either movie?)

Huh?? Confused

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 12:10am
post #32 of 54

I'm alluding to the faces.

In the book, the "Square Candies that Look Round" are square candies with faces painted on them (we see the Oompa-Loompas painting the faces, through the window in the door to the room where this is happening). After Wonka milks it for several paragraphs, and at least one of the children on the tour insists that they look square, somebody opens the door, and the square candies come to life, turning their faces this way and that, until they could see who had walked into the room, at which point, Wonka delivers the punchline, to the general effect of "See, they're LOOKING ROUND."

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 4:01am
post #33 of 54

AAs I was saying,

"I am very proud of my square candies that look round. Let's take a peek." . . . The top half of the door was made of glass. . . . The candies looked very much like square sugar lumps -- except that each of them had a funny little face painted on one side. . . . "They don't look round to me," said Mike Teavee. "They look square," said Veruca Salt. "They look completely square." "But they are square," said Mr. Wonka. "I never said they weren't. . . . I said they looked round." "But they don't look round! said Veruca Salt. "They look square!" . . . Now watch this!" [Mr. Wonka] . . . unlocked the door, and flung it open . . . and suddenly . . . at the sound of the door opening, all the rows and rows of little square candies looked quickly round to see who was coming in. The tiny faces actually turned toward the door and stared at Mr. Wonka. "There you are!" he cried triumpantly. "They're looking round! . . . They are square candies that look round!"
-- Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, original uncensored edition (New York: Knopf, 1964), Page 113.

The faces on your cupcakes reminded me of the faces on the Square Candies that Look Round. So much so, that I half expect them to start "looking round."

Glad to see that you stuck with the project, didn't let it scare you off, and (at least from the looks of it) nailed it.

shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 4:35am
post #34 of 54

AThose turned out amazing!!!

sweettia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettia Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 6:29am
post #35 of 54

A

As I was saying, -- Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, original uncensored edition (New York: Knopf, 1964), Page 113.

The faces on your cupcakes reminded me of the faces on the Square Candies that Look Round. So much so, that I half expect them to start "looking round."

Glad to see that you stuck with the project, didn't let it scare you off, and (at least from the looks of it) nailed it.

And this is why I like to read the books instead of movies cause they always leave out the best parts (IMO anyway)

cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 6:46am
post #36 of 54

AChocaholikk, did you use the foam balls to form the icing dome in the end?! I have a similar project and have ordered the balls, but now not sure if it's going to work.

chocaholikk Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 12:25pm
post #37 of 54

A

Original message sent by cara1982

Chocaholikk, did you use the foam balls to form the icing dome in the end?! I have a similar project and have ordered the balls, but now not sure if it's going to work.

Yes hun I did. But.i only had 6 of them and has 210 cupcakes to make so I went to my local supermarket and asked if I could have the foam inserts that come in apple boxes. They worked well. The domes are very expensive £6.50 for 6. Did you manage to get them at a good price?

chocaholikk Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 12:26pm
post #38 of 54

A

As I was saying, -- Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, original uncensored edition (New York: Knopf, 1964), Page 113.

Thank you hun xx

chocaholikk Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 12:28pm
post #39 of 54

A

Original message sent by shannonann

Those turned out amazing!!!

Thank you hun

cara1982 Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 5:06pm
post #40 of 54

ANo, I think I paid £7.50 posted

aprildaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprildaisy Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 5:45pm
post #41 of 54

You can definitely say you've got determination and patience! These turned out really well!! 

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 7:03pm
post #42 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cara1982 

Chocaholikk, did you use the foam balls to form the icing dome in the end?! I have a similar project and have ordered the balls, but now not sure if it's going to work.

I have them and use them all the time. They work really well. Definitely worth the money IMO

cara1982 Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 7:05pm
post #43 of 54

AAhh excellent, thank you!

Claire138 Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 7:11pm
post #44 of 54

Also, just a little shout out to how nice they are to deal with (purple cupcakes) my little niece managed to grab one of mine when I was sorting cake stuff out & bit a hole into one of mine; when I was at the cake show I went to the stand and asked if I could buy just one to complete my set (I told them what had happened) and they told me not to worry and gave me a new one.

chocaholikk Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 9:26pm
post #45 of 54

A

Original message sent by aprildaisy

You can definitely say you've got determination and patience! These turned out really well!! 

Thank you so much. It took waaaaaaaaay lover than I thought but it was so worth it in the end.

chocaholikk Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 9:28pm
post #46 of 54

A[quote name="cara1982" url="/t/776789/210-cupcakes-where-do-i-start/30#post_7526893"]No, I think I paid £7.50 posted

chocaholikk Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 9:30pm
post #47 of 54

A

Original message sent by Claire138

I have them and use them all the time. They work really well. Definitely worth the money IMO

I would definately say they will be in my list of favourites going forward...might buy some more too!!

chocaholikk Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 9:31pm
post #48 of 54

A

Original message sent by Claire138

Also, just a little shout out to how nice they are to deal with (purple cupcakes) my little niece managed to grab one of mine when I was sorting cake stuff out & bit a hole into one of mine; when I was at the cake show I went to the stand and asked if I could buy just one to complete my set (I told them what had happened) and they told me not to worry and gave me a new one.

that's so sweet of them. Is that what the company is called who makes them??

Claire138 Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 4:45am
post #49 of 54

Yes.

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 3:11pm
post #50 of 54

ACongratulations they are to cute!

chocaholikk Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 4:56pm
post #51 of 54

AThank u hun xx

Foamguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foamguy Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 5:48pm
post #52 of 54

How do you plan on displaying them when they are done?

Foamguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foamguy Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 5:45pm
post #53 of 54

How do you plan on displaying them when they are done?

chocaholikk Posted 24 Jun 2014 , 6:40pm
post #54 of 54

AThey were not to be displayed. They were boxed up in 6 ' s and given as gifts

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%