Should I Freeze Oreo Cupcakes???

Decorating By JackiSto Updated 7 Jun 2014 , 10:40pm by dirtycakes

JackiSto Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 13

Hello fellow cakers,

 

I am looking for opinions here!

 

I am making 100 cupcakes for a friend's baby shower... 50 will be chocolate with an oreo on the bottom, and 50 will be funfetti with a golden oreo on the bottom!

 

I ALWAYS freeze my cakes so they stay nice and moist... will this ruin the texture of the cookie? Would I be better off baking them 2 days ahead, leaving them covered at room temp and spritzing with simple syrup before frosting!?

 

I JUST DON'T KNOW!!!!

12 replies
cai0311 Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 13

AFreezing the cupcakes will cause the cookie to soften during the thawing process because of condensation. So the cookie won't be crunchy, but I don't think that will ruin the cupcake.

I bake all my cupcakes 1-2 days before they are needed. I store them in clam shell containers. They stay very moist in those containers. Plus you can stack the containers 3 deep, so transport is easy.

Dayti Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 13

Since you are baking your cookie inside the cupcake (even if it is at the bottom of the wrapper), I'm afraid it will go soft whether you freeze it or not, just because it will be surrounded by cake for a couple of days. So I would say yes, freeze them, if it makes you happier, the cookie will still be soft (but I like them like that anyway!).

JackiSto Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by cai0311 

Freezing the cupcakes will cause the cookie to soften during the thawing process because of condensation. So the cookie won't be crunchy, but I don't think that will ruin the cupcake.

I bake all my cupcakes 1-2 days before they are needed. I store them in clam shell containers. They stay very moist in those containers. Plus you can stack the containers 3 deep, so transport is easy.

That's good to know... I have frozen them for so long (I think it keeps them nice and moist) that I just wasn't sure... I think I will have to do these in boxes with inserts, though, since there are so many of them :o/ I assume just tightly covering them with plastic wrap would do the trick...

JackiSto Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayti 
 

Since you are baking your cookie inside the cupcake (even if it is at the bottom of the wrapper), I'm afraid it will go soft whether you freeze it or not, just because it will be surrounded by cake for a couple of days. So I would say yes, freeze them, if it makes you happier, the cookie will still be soft (but I like them like that anyway!).

That is a good point... Do you think there is anyway to keep the cookie crispy?

Dayti Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 10:12am
post #6 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackiSto 
 

That is a good point... Do you think there is anyway to keep the cookie crispy?

Nope, sorry. I sell Oreo cupcakes in my bakery - I don't bake them in the cake but stick a mini Oreo in the frosting. After a few hours it is soft... Also, if you store any kind of crunchy cookie in the same box or container as a cake, the cookie draws moisture from the cake and goes soft. 

JackiSto Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 11:41am
post #7 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayti 
 

Nope, sorry. I sell Oreo cupcakes in my bakery - I don't bake them in the cake but stick a mini Oreo in the frosting. After a few hours it is soft... Also, if you store any kind of crunchy cookie in the same box or container as a cake, the cookie draws moisture from the cake and goes soft. 

I am guessing that's just par for the course with these items... nobody gets a crispy cookie... It seems like it would become the same texture of the cupcake... which sounds yummy to me :)

MimiFix Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 13

Moisture migration is a never-ending issue in food production. "Stopping moisture migration requires either a barrier, or reformulating your product." As Dayti explained, there's not much you can do given how your cupcakes are structured. But I'm sure they're delicious so I don't think anyone would care about the texture.  

Marian64 Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 9:35pm
post #9 of 13

AI froze some about a year ago and they were fine. I don't remember the Oreos getting soft. I do remember that no one complained.

Good luck, Marian

JackiSto Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 1:01pm
post #10 of 13

AI did a test run and it was kind of cool how the cookie became the same texture as the cake! I also moved the oreo to the middle of the cake... since it will wind up sift anyway, I think it will be cooler having it kind of suspended! I am bringing her a sample on Monday and I am sure she'll love it!

My chocolate cake recipe is ALWAYS A HIT, so adding an oreo surprise for her guests can only make it better! Thanks everyone for the advice

MBalaska Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 13

Why put a commercially made cookie inside a home made cupcake, how did this develop

JackiSto Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 10:11pm
post #12 of 13

AI think it started on pinterest and now everyone asks about it...

dirtycakes Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 10:40pm
post #13 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 
 

Why put a commercially made cookie inside a home made cupcake, how did this develop

Give the people what they want! lol :lol: 

 

I can't say they are my personal favorite, but I think it's one of those nostalgic flavors for people. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%