How Do I Get Camo Colors From Rich's Bettercreme Whipped Icing?

Decorating By Shelly42 Updated 5 Jun 2014 , 11:53pm by MBalaska

Shelly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly42 Posted 3 Jun 2014 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 12

How do I get Camo colors from Rich's Bettercreme whipped icing? and how do I make it look decent on a cake? Thank you in advance...the cake is due Thursday ugh

11 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 3 Jun 2014 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 12

In my opinion, I think you will have a difficult time getting the colors you are looking for.  Bettercreme does not take color well and it will be much lighter than what you are looking for.  I would definitely use the Wilton gels or any other brand of gel coloring and do a practice run of the coloring to see what you get.  Remember when you add a lot of coloring you can get a bitter taste/ Does the client not want some icing other than Bettercreme?

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 3 Jun 2014 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakegrandma 

In my opinion, I think you will have a difficult time getting the colors you are looking for.  Bettercreme does not take color well and it will be much lighter than what you are looking for.  I would definitely use the Wilton gels or any other brand of gel coloring and do a practice run of the coloring to see what you get.  Remember when you add a lot of coloring you can get a bitter taste/ Does the client not want some icing other than Bettercreme?

I have tried to color Bettercreme with dark colors it actually takes colors well, but  the taste is awful.

Shelly42 Posted 3 Jun 2014 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 12

She wants whipped icing and I can't get it to come out right so I bought the whipped bettercreme...I could use choc. as one color but not sure about the green..do you think star tippping it is the best when applying it to cake?

Natka81 Posted 3 Jun 2014 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 12

For me it is the same to work with buttercream or Bettercreme. I googled "camoflage pattern" and Cakecentral tutorial came up "camouflage pattern buttercream". Personally I don`t like startipping it looks childlish (to me). Just don`t overwhip Bettercreme or it will be hard to work with.

Shelly42 Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 12:09am
post #6 of 12

Thanks all, I really don't think the 2 are even close...I mean at least buttercream crusts...I haven't ever worked with bettercreme before....The cake is for a 4 yr old ...I just dont see how to smooth the bettercreme without messing all the colors up...

Natka81 Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 12:14am
post #7 of 12

Yes, you are right, if you haven`t work with it yet, you would probably mess it up. Good luck !

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 12:47am
post #8 of 12

Did you consider saying that you don't offer that stuff? Selling her on why you use what you use, and why it's best for you to provide a consistently quality product, that you only use certain recipes? 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 2:31am
post #9 of 12

Camo cakes are something that I've experimented with.  The best result is American ButterCream because it crusts.  The paint roller works great with this icing.

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3171285/a/3416236/camo-cake-with-mallard-duck-molded-in-fondant-smoothed-with-the-high-density-foam-paint-roller/

I tried making a camo cake with the soft creamy non-crusting Swiss Meringue Buttercream.  I could slightly smooth it with parchment and a fondant smoother, but not much.   Still tasted delicious, but it was homely as heck.   I just can't see using whipped cream for anything close to this.

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3171919/a/3416236/desert-camo-with-fondant-puppy-i-used-swiss-meringue-buttercream-and-it-doesnt-crust-so-it-doesnt-blend-in-the-desert-color-combo-is-right-though-the-icing-is-not-smooth-lessen-learned/

I also agree that using a star tip just doesn't look good with a camo design.  However it would be the only way to use a soft non-crusting icing and will in the pattern evenly.

Shelly42 Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 2:52pm
post #10 of 12

UPDATE: Well the cake turned out pretty good with the whipped frosting ....she loved it and ordered a couple diff others for fathers day and another Bday...I ended up using a grass tip to apply the frosting instead of star tip...Thanks all

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 12

AOk I know you already did the cake but I have an idea. What if you did this sort of like a chocolate collar, but using a non-crusting icing? Assuming you can freeze bettercreme (which I am pretty sure you can), what if you made a long strip of freezer paper or waxed paper. Pipe the design on the paper, then wrap it around a crumb-coated cake. Freeze the whole thing, then peel off the paper. Crazy? Brilliant? Not worth the effort? I have no idea. I have never used bettercreme, but I may try this with smbc sometime.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 11:53pm
post #12 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelly42 

UPDATE: Well the cake turned out pretty good with the whipped frosting ....she loved it and ordered a couple diff others for fathers day and another Bday...I ended up using a grass tip to apply the frosting instead of star tip...Thanks all

I think that the camo cake you made with the grass tip looks better than a star tip does.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%