Re - Starting A Cake Business Course

Business By buzybaker Updated 9 Jun 2014 , 12:09pm by SugaredSaffron

buzybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buzybaker Posted 3 Jun 2014 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 4

Hi I just wondered if anybody could recommend a course on how to set up their own cake making business.  I'm based in the Midlands but I would be prepared to travel for the right course.

Many thanks.

BB

3 replies
pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 8:04am
post #2 of 4

You might want to start by reading a couple of books by CC members mentioned (with links) in this thread:

http://cakecentral.com/t/776536/your-first-sale#post_7522849

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 4

The new thing seems to be people selling courses on starting a cake business...You'd be better served if you look into organizations that do basic business coaching for small business in general. In the US we have SCORE, which is a group that has retired business executives do basic coaching for people who are starting businesses. You can also contact whatever licensing authority it is that does food handlers licenses, they usually have information on starting small businesses. If you're going to be working from home the things that you'll need are going to be very different from what you'll need if you're opening a shop. I work from home and I never wrote a business plan, which is the first thing that people screech that you HAVE to do. No, you don't, unless you want to borrow  a lot of money from  a bank. However, I had a very good idea of what I wanted to do, who my customer was, and I went in that direction to start. If you want to do wedding cakes, see if there's someone in the wedding industry in your area who would be willing to talk to you, but not a cake person. Make it a photographer if you can because they see everything that goes on and they can tell you stories that will make you realize if you have the stomach for it or not!

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 4

This book is excellent and it's from the UK : http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1905113234/?tag=cakecentral-20

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%