The Icing Is Breaking While Piping : (

Baking By pascutler Updated 13 Jun 2014 , 12:38pm by JWinslow

pascutler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pascutler Posted 3 Jun 2014 , 2:12am
post #1 of 11

AHi everyone, My title says it all. When I am piping royal icing, it often breaks. I don't think it is a consistancy issue (soft peak) Any ideas? tia.:grin:

10 replies
Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 3 Jun 2014 , 5:11am
post #2 of 11

AI went to a cake workshop a couple of weeks ago. I was told that if you add about 1/4ts. of glucose to a batch of royal icing it will make it less likely to break. I haven't tried it yet. But I do know there are some vids on you tube that tell you how to get the consistency of ri right.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 3 Jun 2014 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 11

AI use the 15 second rule for my royal icing. Any stiffer and it breaks on me too.

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 3 Jun 2014 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 11

are you overbeating your icing? does it seem to have a lot of air in it?

Smithjhon77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smithjhon77 Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 9:23am
post #5 of 11

I think you just concentrate while making it and don't overbearting   it. 

amibethbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amibethbakes Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 11

My initial thought is that there's too much air.  It also might be just slightly too stiff - its hard to know for sure without seeing it. What are you piping? Outlines or letters? Or are you making your own decorations?  What size tip are you using?

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 11

AThis advice is if your trying to do string work. Egg white royal icing works better than meringue powder royal icing. Any grease that gets into the icing can affect it as well. Make sure to have a super clean bowl and utensils. If using plastic or rubber spatulas, have a set that is dedicated strictly to royal icings since any greasy residue on your spatula can affect the royal icing.

beachandsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachandsweets Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 11

I am not a fan of royal icing all together. I find that it is hard to work with and dries way too hard- like break your teeth hard. I use glucose in mine and it has made a huge difference! It still dries hard enough to stack the cookies but absolutely no problems with decorating. Here's a link to the recipe I use...

http://sweetpssweets.blogspot.ca/2012/06/is-it-royal-or-is-it-glaze-royal-glaze.html

if you really want to stick with royal, i suggest beating your icing for longer, maybe its not mixed well? or do you not sift your powdered sugar?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 3:21am
post #9 of 11

you can strain it through a brand new nylon stocking or a fine mesh strainer to remove the air-- i always hate to do that because it's a pia to me--but it works to stop it from breaking--

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 3:25am
post #10 of 11

wait--soft peaks?  -- i take mine to stiff peaks -- then i thin it if need be

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 12:38pm
post #11 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lfredden 

This advice is if your trying to do string work. Egg white royal icing works better than meringue powder royal icing. Any grease that gets into the icing can affect it as well. Make sure to have a super clean bowl and utensils. If using plastic or rubber spatulas, have a set that is dedicated strictly to royal icings since any greasy residue on your spatula can affect the royal icing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

you can strain it through a brand new nylon stocking or a fine mesh strainer to remove the air-- i always hate to do that because it's a pia to me--but it works to stop it from breaking--

Both of these are really good advice.  I wipe everything down with white vinegar before I start.  I also usually mix my RI by hand - less chance of over mixing and too much air.  And yes, passing RI through a nylon is a pain but it sure works.  I also have access to free range eggs.  Those whites are the best in my opinion.
I pulled out my Eddie Spence book - piping consistency should be stiff and only thinned out with a tiny amount of water if necessary. 
I hope this all works out for you - breakage is so frustrating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%