How To Make Frosting Look Like This Without An Airbrush Machine?

Decorating By kaiyaskakes Updated 8 Jun 2014 , 10:46pm by kaiyaskakes

kaiyaskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaiyaskakes Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 12

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3245310/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

I have no clue how this cake is to be done. I have to make it for a customer and don't want to tell them I don't know how. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks.

11 replies
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 12

AWilton color mists or make your own by mixing gel coloring with vodka and spraying it on. Or for a slightly different take, you could smooth different fondant colors together and roll them out at once. Paint on the black spots over last, whether you spray or not.

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 12

AYou can hand paint it but it won't have the same effect. Better tell your client that you can't do it now and give other options, than dealing with an unhappy customer because they didn't get what they paid for.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecakewitch 

You can hand paint it but it won't have the same effect. Better tell your client that you can't do it now and give other options, than dealing with an unhappy customer because they didn't get what they paid for.

This is the best advice you're going to get.

NEVER tell a customer that you can do something if you have no idea how to do it. It's okay to say that you don't know how to do it and that you'll try it out, then you'll tell them how it worked. It's okay to tell them that you don't think you should do it for them because you're not sure you can do it. It's NOT okay to tell someone that you can do something that you don't know how to do and have no idea whether you can.

I've been doing cakes as a business for 15 years, and there are things that I don't know how to do. I wouldn't hesitate to tell someone that I don't want to tell them that I can do something if I'm not sure I could.

kaiyaskakes Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 12

AI didn't actually agree to it yet. They sent me a picture of how they wanted it and asked if I could do it. I didn't want to pass up the opportunity for learning something new so I said I would see if I can figure something out and let them know. I never actually agreed to it yet.

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 12

Here is a tutorial showing how to paint the leopard print on a cake Hth

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiyaskakes 

I didn't actually agree to it yet. They sent me a picture of how they wanted it and asked if I could do it. I didn't want to pass up the opportunity for learning something new so I said I would see if I can figure something out and let them know. I never actually agreed to it yet.

Good, then tell them that you've never done the technique before, and that you'll get back to them. then try it out first then decide whether it looks right or not. Then let them know whether you can do it.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 8:54am
post #8 of 12

This is the best video I found but you have to know how to Airbrush to do this effect....good luck...but like they said here, never tell a person you CAN do it, unless you know you can....

This video shows how to get that rainbow effect

kaiyaskakes Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 12:48am
post #9 of 12

AThank you everyone for the help

pastychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastychef Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 2:33am
post #10 of 12

ALooks like they airbrushed using three colors (yellow, blue, and pink) but the areas of overlap make it look like 5 more distinct colors. That would be much more difficult without the overlap since the edges wouldn't be blended. Then, from what I can discern, they went back and adding some darker splotches of airbrushing around the cake to give some definition to the leopard spots before hand-painting with black. It's not complicated, just a little tedious.

pastychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastychef Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 2:36am
post #11 of 12

AIf you're absolutely opposed to airbrush, I think it could be done similar to a watercolor painted cake but the colors will be more muted.

kaiyaskakes Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 10:46pm
post #12 of 12

AI think I'll test the watercolor thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%