Heatherly30 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 2:48pm
post #1 of

I plan on signing up for Course I at Michael's starting in February. Does anyone know what specific supplies I will need? I have a few things already, can I use those? Just trying to determine how much $$ I need to set aside.

Thanks,
Heather

19 replies
BCo Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 3:31pm
post #2 of

I'm taking the C1 too next month and was also wondering besides the Kit for the class do I need to buy the C1 book that they sell seperately also? I thought I read somewhere that they might give you the book on your first day!

Thanks for the help!
Brandie

Jenteach Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 7:44pm
post #3 of

I was just coming here to post the exact same question (glad I did a search first) icon_smile.gif . I'm starting Course I on February 8th and I can't wait! I don't know what we have to get though, and hopefully someone else will be able to help us.

Jen

MrsMom Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 7:55pm
post #4 of

I asked this question last week, as I'm taking the course next month and this is what was suggested:

kit (either course 1, 50 piece or 101 piece)
meringe powder (I don't think I spelled that right)
decorating bags of your choice (disposable, featherweight...whatever you prefer)
additional couplers
additional tips #1, #3, #16 and #104
clown heads (for doing clown cake)
flower lifter
cake boards (could also do the cakes on plates, etc)
turntable (not necessary, but handy)

Hope that helps!

mjs4492 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 8:00pm
post #5 of

good post!

Because every instructor is different though, I would suggest calling the store or instructor before purchasing anything! Even if the instructor is not available, the store will have a list of supplies you need to have and can tell you.
Have fun!!!!

Bradymom6 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 8:07pm
post #6 of

I just answered a post like this on the Wilton website. For the first class of Wilton Course 1 you usually don't need anything. The instructor should provide you with all the information that you need, ie supplies needed etc., including the Course 1 book. The first class is usually and informational class with the instructor demonstrating some of the techniques you will learn throughout the class. Personally, I used a 50% off coupon at Michaels and bought the 101 pc. professional decorating kit. I have not regretted that purchase one bit.
Hope this helps,
Bradymom

SILVERCAT Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:53am
post #7 of

You also might want to get a extra tip #12 too. And maybe the triple star tip #2010

cake-angel Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:02am
post #8 of

The place where you signed up is supposed to give you a class supply list for class one. You should call and ask what is needed. Usually the instructor gives you the class book when you get there.

TexasSugar Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:36am
post #9 of

While some things depend on the instructors, everyone that takes the Wilton Courses need the same basic things. There are tons of things that you could buy depending on what you have and don't have.

The list above is a very good basic list. On average most people will spend between $50-$100 in Course 1.

The first night of the course your instructor will give you more information on what you will need for the following class.

As far as the lesson books, it depends on what store you take the classes at. Michaels gives you the books with the class, as does Hobby Lobby, I believe. I do think though that at JoAnn's you have to purchase your book.

galliesway Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 7:36am

Mine start in February too! I can't wait!

Kelley

KrisD13 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 12:42pm

I took Course 1 a year ago.

You will need something to transport your cakes in, as well as everything else people have posted, but...........

With taking the course at a Michael's, you usually get a discount of 10% on the nights of your course, so save your money till then, and after class do your shopping. It saved me a LOT of money, cause I then went on to do Levels 2 and 3.

And if you are going to continue with 2 and 3, don't buy the Wilton Fondant unless you absolutely need to figure out the texture. It tastes and smells horrible, and is a complete waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

sweetsbycheryl Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 12:53pm

One thing that I found helpful too is using a laundry basket to carry everything in so you don't have to make five trips- especially if you plan to take 2 and 3 - there is definitely more to carry with those two classes- Have fun!! icon_biggrin.gif

BobbiA Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 9:43pm

If you really think you want to go further in decorating definately get the decorating kit. It is less expensive in the long run. A turntable is very handy and a cake carrier is a must.....and always write down any tips the instructor gives you. You learn so much that you will tend to forget something.

You'll have a great time and be amazed at what you can do.

CakeNCookieLady Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:40am

Tomorrow is my third class in Course 1 (at Michael's), and you do get a 10% discount after each class for any cake supplies you buy. IMO, the "must haves" are: in addition to the "kit", a turntable, cake carrier, "tackle box" for all your supplies, icing colors, 26 tip set (at least), LOTS of bags (disposable are what I use for practice - I'm slowly buying more featherweight, but I swear I used 10 bags in the 2nd class), couplers, meringue powder, piping gel, clear vanilla extract, and the icer tip with 16" bag. My store includes the book in the cost of the class, and I followed the idea of a classmate and took the book apart and put each page in a page protector and put into a 3 ring binder (the 2nd night I got frosting on one of the pages and now it has a grease spot...wouldn't have happened with the page protectors, lol). I also have the 10" round cake boards (the kind that look like a doily). We don't "have" to do the clown cake in week 3, so I didn't bother with the clown heads, but I guess it is up to your instructor. I also have 2 press sets, one is messages and the other one is all of the scrolls, etc. OH...almost forgot the cake leveler. That is a must-have, IMO. I did buy the bake-even strips, but haven't used them yet...my instructor swears by them. You don't have to get all this stuff in advance (at least not at my store)...she gave us plenty of time to shop after class, and was there to answer questions and help us shop for what was absolutely necessary and what would make our lives easier. I LOVE this class and can't wait for course #2. I was already doing cakes before the class, but I really have learned alot of new tips and techniques (I only took this class to learn how to make a rose, lol).

mimimil Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:55am

Hi there,

I've taken all 3 courses and will be signing up for the 4th one this weekend (very excited!!). When I took the first course I was given a list of supplies when I paid for the class. I guess it does depend on the instructor... she was very helpful and yes when you are taking a wilton class you are given 10% on any Wilton purchases (this was at Michael's). I'm sure you will have a blast... I already knew how to bake and semi-decorate... I took the class as a way to get out of the house lol

Mimi

patticake1951 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:04am

I also bought a stacking toolbox on wheels to carry all of my supplies back and forth. It saves a lot of lifting . It was at Walmart for $23.00. I still use it for my supplies at home, I just roll it under a table when I'm not using it.Have fun in your classes. I certainly did. I wish they were having some more advanced classes at my Hobby Lobby soon.

koolaidstains Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 5:35am
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake1951

I also bought a stacking toolbox on wheels to carry all of my supplies back and forth. It saves a lot of lifting . It was at Walmart for $23.00. I still use it for my supplies at home, I just roll it under a table when I'm not using it.Have fun in your classes. I certainly did. I wish they were having some more advanced classes at my Hobby Lobby soon.

The Stanley one that's black and yellow? I'm an instructor and I just bought one myself LOL. The Wilton tool caddy will fit inside the top part if you remove the lift-out shelf thingy. When I have lots of stuff I just strap my caddy on top. It's definately the best $23 I've spent in a long time!

But, a shopping cart is great too! Just get one in the parking lot to take things to class in and if you're lucky you can leave it there for after class. I tell my students to do that when they come for the second class.

patticake1951 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:58pm

Yes that's the one. I love it!!

CupCake13 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:09pm

Oooh, I'm going to have to look for this one. I have a wheeled cart thinging that will take 150lbs and it's awesome but you have to use bungies with it.

I like the idea of a self contained unit that my stuff fits into. Plus, I need it for storage. Sounds perfect.

Heatherly30 Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 11:52pm

Wow! Thanks for all the tips and advice! I will definitely keep all of this in mind. I can't wait until 2/7!

Heather

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%