Relative Newbie Question About Cake To Use With Fondant

Decorating By sleepymummy Updated 5 Jun 2014 , 10:23pm by mattyeatscakes

sleepymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleepymummy Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 4:37am
post #1 of 5

AHi all. I just have a relatively minor question. I have had a few kids party cakes recently that were dry and tasteless:( and want to avoid this for my sons 6th birthday in August so am trialling cake mixes. I made a cake called a sand cake which has self raising flour, cornflour, caster sugar, butter, eggs and milk. It was quite nice and not dry or tasteless amd best of all hubby and the 2 kids liked it.

My question is this - do you ladies (and gentlemen) think it sounds like a cake that will hold up to a fondant coat? It will be a single layer cake of the Octolab from a cbeebies cartoon called The Octonauts and will only be the size of maybe 2 round cakes joined bottom together and then trimmed.

I used to get a great cake mix that was delish but cannot get it anymore and my oven can be tempermental when it comes to evenly cooking cakes.

Any advice would be appreciated and sorry for any typos I am writing this on my mobile :)

Cheers Demelza

4 replies
Ninja13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ninja13 Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 11:07am
post #2 of 5

Hi sleepy mummy,

I'm only new as well but i thought id share what i have found since starting.

look for good cakes in the recipes tab ^^^ 

i have read freezing cakes keeps them moist.

my cakes have always held the fondant but they haven't been huge.

hopefully this helps a little :D

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 5

I think you can put fondant on most any cake, I haven't had a problem yet. Just roll it thinner if your cake isn't very firm. I wouldn't put a heavy (thick) layer of fondant on a moist & bouncy cake but a thin layer should be fine. Maybe someone else has more helpful input. :D

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 5

AYou might want to try icing the cake with white chocolate ganache instead of buttercream. Ganache holds up to the weight of fondant really well.

As dkltll mentioned, roll the fondant really thin. I try to get mine about 1/16" thick.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 5

AIf you are rolling your fondant thin, make your buttercream/ganache coat very smooth as any bump/imperfections will show through the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%