Would Bubble Tea Straws Be Appropriate To Support 10", And 12" Cakes?

Decorating By tsal Updated 31 Mar 2016 , 1:32am by Sarahw13

tsal Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 11

I love bubble tea straws, and am making my friend's wedding cake in August.  I have used them to support up to 8" cakes, but can I use them for larger tier support?  If so, how many should I use?

I usually use 2 or 3 to support a 6" and 4 to support an 8". 

10 replies
nadiacorallo Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 11

AI would say don't risk it for bigger tiers! I recently made a 3 tier cake 10, 8, and 6 and I used bubba straws. I put 6 under the 8 inch and 4 under the 6 inch and the next day I was told that the cake was caving in :'( I won't chance that again. Now I use the thicker plastic dowels for heavier cakes. That cannot bend under pressure. Perhaps you could do a combination of bubba straws and this wooden dowels for added support.

tsal Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks, Nadia!  I will use the Wilton plastic tube dowels.  I find them a PITA to cut, but perhaps I will invest in a pair of PVC cutters.

Claire138 Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 11

maybenot Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 11

AYes, they'll be just fine. In my photos is a pic of a 4 tier wedding cake--14", 11", 8", 5"--all supported by bubble tea straws with a central dowel.

The straws, cut evenly of course, won't slip or crush. I do use foam core cake boards--never corrugated cardboard--that I coat with melted edible soy wax.

maybenot Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 11

This is the cake. 

There was 5 straws in the 14" to support the 11", 4 straws in the 11" to support the 8", and 3 straws in the 8" to support the 5". 

It traveled 2.5 hrs. partially assembled [the 11" was on the 14" with the central dowel] and I added the 8" & 5" at the venue, one at a time.

I recently did this wedding cake for the son of a friend.  The bride didn't want a topper or anything else, but I'd have liked a large peony or rose on top.  The fondant is Albert Uster FondArt, a product that I love.  I matched the blue to David's Bridal Malibu Blue.  The damask is royal icing stenciling.  The embossed ribbon is a new product from Wilton and I love it--deep embossing, flexible, and very time saving.

CindiM Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 11

I use bubble tea straws with foam core boards also, in all of my tiered cakes, which are 3 to 6 tiers. 

No problem!  I love them.   

I assemble on site as my cakes are very heavy.  I only use a long wooden central dowel, if the cake is to be moved or the table is wiggly.

nadiacorallo Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 3:19am
post #8 of 11

Original message sent by tsal

Thanks, Nadia!  I will use the Wilton plastic tube dowels.  I find them a PITA to cut, but perhaps I will invest in a pair of PVC cutters.

would wire cutters work?

AZCouture Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 3:24am
post #9 of 11

AAnother support for bubble straws here. As long as you aren't reckless in measuring and follow normal cautionary procedures for any doweling system, you're good to go.

cai0311 Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 12:01pm
post #10 of 11

AI use bubble tea straws for all my cakes. Measure the length required for each tier and make sure all the straws in the same tier are the exact same length.

I use 2 less straws then the diameter of the cake I am supporting. So, if I am placing the straws in a 12" cake to support a 10" cake I use 8 straws. In a 10" cake that will have an 8" cake resting on it, I use 6 straws...

Sarahw13 Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 1:32am
post #11 of 11

Quote by @%username% on %date%