Cakes Are Tilting After Fondant And Stacking

Decorating By DNero Updated 8 Jun 2014 , 4:01am by denetteb

DNero Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 1:16am
post #1 of 9

Hi, I've been having a problem with my cakes.

When I do a 2 or 3 layer cake…I put 4-5 dowels on each layer. Then after a stack them…they start to 'sink' and I feel like the layers of each cake shift (the cake was leveled and then its not)… and my fondant is smooth and after a while it starts bulging like theres a bubble inside...

help ? 

Thank you

8 replies
denetteb Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 4:32am
post #2 of 9

Is each tier sitting on it's own cardboard or foamcore?

RedneckRuffle Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 5:11am
post #3 of 9

AWhat type of filling are you using? If it's a soft filling, are you daming the filling with stiff buttercream? Also, do you settle the layers firmly with your hands after torting and filling? Sounds like your filling is settling under the weight of the fondant.

Nadiaa Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 5:41am
post #4 of 9

Are you placing a weight on your cakes and settling them before you stack them? 

mattyeatscakes Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 6:13am
post #5 of 9

AOr you might not have enough dowels? Or you've cut your dowels a but shorter than the cake? Or they might not be all the same height when you cut them? To support an 8" cake i use about 6-8 bubble tea straws, then 4 to support a 6" cake.

810whitechoc Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 8:17am
post #6 of 9

Sounds like structural issues, as well as all the suggestions above, is your bottom cake firm enough to hold your dowels in place. By that I mean if your cake is not dense enough the dowels could shift within the cake when you put the weight of the second tier on top.

DNero Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 9

For this cake I used the thin wood dowels ~ which I didn't really like ~ but going forward I will use the big bubble tea straws. I also put a cardboard under each cake. 

What do you mean by a weight on the cake before stacking? 

I'm not sure how to 'know' if my cakes a dense enough. They are very moist because I drizzle them with a mix of condensed milk and water before frosting. 

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Nadiaa Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 12:19am
post #8 of 9
denetteb Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 4:01am
post #9 of 9

Drizzling sweetened condensed milk thinned with water over your finished cakes sounds fabulous.  But it could really cause structural problems.  That is probably what is causing your sliding, not your support or cake density. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%