Fresh Fruit Pricing

Business By mommyjones Updated 31 May 2014 , 6:02am by Pearl645

mommyjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyjones Posted 30 May 2014 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 3

I have a client that wants this cake but instead of he roses she wants strawberries that are made into roses along with blueberries. What I need help on is pricing out the cake. She wants it two tiered to serve 50 people. I have never done a wedding cake with fresh fruit as the decorations. 

2 replies
Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 31 May 2014 , 5:49am
post #2 of 3

You can do 8" & 12" round stacked cakes for 60 servings according to Earlene Moore's cake serving chart. This is what I use for wedding cakes. I'm sure 8" & 11" cakes will be closer to 50 servings if you have an 11" cake pan.

Important advice on using fresh fruits on cakes: please be sure your strawberries and fruits are at room temperature, fully dried and not still springing water when you put on the wedding cake.

I had this happen to me when first using fruits on cakes. I used fruits out of the container from my chiller and they were thawing on my cake. Learned the hard way. Strawberries were springing pink / red water onto my beautiful white iced cake. Now I leave them on paper towels to dry out for as long as it takes. Does anyone advocate dipping fruits in a clear glaze to give them shine on the cake? Think I saw this on a cake show.

As for pricing, I know there are threads at the top of certain forums that discuss pricing guidelines. I can safely say my price is not going to be your price. Good luck! It's a beautiful wedding cake!

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 31 May 2014 , 6:02am
post #3 of 3

Also check out Wilton's wedding cake serving chart for cake sizes. They are more generous than Earlene Moore's cake servings. 6" & 10" round stacked cakes will give you 50 servings. I use the latter though out of safety and because I don't charge by the serving. Once again all the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%