To The Lady Who Posted About Undercutting...

Business By MadiCake Updated 30 May 2014 , 5:59am by SystemMod1

MadiCake Posted 30 May 2014 , 3:07am
post #1 of 19

It seems that your post popped up shortly after I posted about charging too little. Call me paranoid but I found it ironic.

 

I want to apologize to all you bakers that try to charge what SHOULD be charged for custom cakes, as they are art work...personalized art work and get flack because you charge correctly.

 

I think that a lot of home bakers tend to be "hobby bakers" and only charge for ingredients to make the cakes and like a lot of you mentioned, don't come out all that great because it is as aforementioned, hobby baking. ( Let me also state that I've seen hundreds of "hobby bakers" on here that are absolutely and absurdly amazing at what they do...you can make my next cake if you want :P)

 

My point here is that many people who try to start a home bakery business do not know how to price, myself included. I have asked for advice and help on these forums and usually I get a snooty answer about how I shouldn't be charging very much because I don't have the "experience". Come on now ladies...do you really need to pay $100 or more on a class that is going to teach you what you can find on the internet now-a-days? No thank you. Feel free to browse my cakes on my profile. I'm no wizard but I'm self-taught and I think I'm pretty decent.

 

Now next time someone asks for a little advice...why don't you pass out a compliment or two and help your fellow newbie? You all started in the same place and just because you've done it for years and now know the game, don't be a jerk to the people who come to YOU for advice. That should make you feel good, not stick your nose in the air. Lord help you if it started to rain.

 

Long story longer,...I apologize for being "one of those people" but I won't apologize for trying to be the best I can be and STILL have cake bitties looking down on me for trying.

 

“We do not merely destroy our enemies; we change them.”
George Orwell, 1984

18 replies
enga Posted 30 May 2014 , 3:15am
post #2 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadiCake 
 

It seems that your post popped up shortly after I posted about charging too little. Call me paranoid but I found it ironic.

 

I want to apologize to all you bakers that try to charge what SHOULD be charged for custom cakes, as they are art work...personalized art work and get flack because you charge correctly.

 

I think that a lot of home bakers tend to be "hobby bakers" and only charge for ingredients to make the cakes and like a lot of you mentioned, don't come out all that great because it is as aforementioned, hobby baking. ( Let me also state that I've seen hundreds of "hobby bakers" on here that are absolutely and absurdly amazing at what they do...you can make my next cake if you want :P)

 

My point here is that many people who try to start a home bakery business do not know how to price, myself included. I have asked for advice and help on these forums and usually I get a snooty answer about how I shouldn't be charging very much because I don't have the "experience". Come on now ladies...do you really need to pay $100 or more on a class that is going to teach you what you can find on the internet now-a-days? No thank you. Feel free to browse my cakes on my profile. I'm no wizard but I'm self-taught and I think I'm pretty decent.

 

Now next time someone asks for a little advice...why don't you pass out a compliment or two and help your fellow newbie? You all started in the same place and just because you've done it for years and now know the game, don't be a jerk to the people who come to YOU for advice. That should make you feel good, not stick your nose in the air. Lord help you if it started to rain.

 

Long story longer,...I apologize for being "one of those people" but I won't apologize for trying to be the best I can be and STILL have cake bitties looking down on me for trying.

 

“We do not merely destroy our enemies; we change them.”
George Orwell, 1984

I applaud you for posting this!

enga Posted 30 May 2014 , 3:30am
post #3 of 19

Cuz Lord knows I might be about to get my hind part handed to me for agreeing but I'm so glad that you put it out there. ;-D

MadiCake Posted 30 May 2014 , 3:37am
post #4 of 19

Haha I hope you don't! And I appreciate your applause! lol

 

I love Cake Central and its where I go after a long day to surf and enjoy all the fine work and tutorials.

Sometimes I see where the women don't give any credence to people who try to be just as good as they are but need a little help, like myself.

 

My bf thinks I'm a nut for even caring but I can't help my heart :P

reginaherrin Posted 30 May 2014 , 3:38am
post #5 of 19

Unless I missed it, I never saw any new post about undercutting.  The only one I did see what something like "so undercutting doesn't hurt the industry?".  Is that the post you think was targeted to you?  If so you may want to check the date on that one.  If it is another one that I must have just missed it.

AZCouture Posted 30 May 2014 , 3:53am
post #6 of 19

AWhat would your suggestion be for people who are trying to start a business but don't know how to price properly? What do people who want to start a plumbing business, or accounting practice, or want to open a hair salon do?

enga Posted 30 May 2014 , 4:00am
post #7 of 19

Haha I hope you don't! And I appreciate your applause! lol

 

I love Cake Central and its where I go after a long day to surf and enjoy all the fine work and tutorials.

Sometimes I see where the women don't give any credence to people who try to be just as good as they are but need a little help, like myself.

 

My bf thinks I'm a nut for even caring but I can't help my heart :P

 

 

 

No worries, I got more tricks than an Armadillo and even tougher skin :lol: We need more people like you in the world and here as a member of Cake Central. 

 

So if no one has told you yet, Welcome, I hope you stay awhile! Well....... I better start digging some wholes, lol.

MBalaska Posted 30 May 2014 , 4:15am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiCake 
 

"...........I have asked for advice and help on these forums and usually I get a snooty answer about how I shouldn't be charging very much because I don't have the "experience".

 

............, don't be a jerk to the people who come to YOU for advice. That should make you feel good, not stick your nose in the air. Lord help you if it started to rain.................."

 
Here are your listed threads:
 
 

 

 

....I took the time to read all of the threads and responses that you received. Your statement is false on it's face, inappropriate, & unnecessary, based on reading those threads. You also appear to have thanked several people for their help:

 

  •        "Thanks again! I'm going to stick to the prices and charge what I think I'm worth :)"
  •         "Thank you so much! That really helps! :)"     
  •         "I appreciate your advice! I definitely wasn't basing price off of it being my first!

Just wanted help with pricing as I tend to charge very little...$65 for a two tier fondant covered cakes with multiple figures and haven't been very good with pricing.  Was just looking for some help in that department."

 

This actually reads like a deliberate pot and stirring stick, for someone's entertainment only.

MadiCake Posted 30 May 2014 , 4:16am
post #9 of 19

Hahaha Thank you Enga :) I plan on staying for a long time and I appreciate the welcome. If you need help with digging those holes, you just let me know ;) lol

 

It seems mine was dug before I got here :P

AZCouture Posted 30 May 2014 , 4:19am
post #10 of 19

A[I]Come on now ladies...do you really need to pay $100 or more on a class that is going to teach you what you can find on the internet now-a-days?[/I]

Why not? Why not invest in your future with solid advice from someone who knows their help may be worth more than what someone can spout off for free on some random blog? It's the trivial manner in which people treat this business that is most disheartening to me. Act like you're serious about it, and you'll get serious help. And I don't really mean you, I mean anyone with an attitude like that. Because really, do people that want to start accounting firms, plumbing businesses, and hair salons find the nearest forum and depend on the posts there to run their businesses? No...they go spend $100 on business classes and seminars, and go to school, and other real world businessy things.

enga Posted 30 May 2014 , 4:24am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiCake 
 

Hahaha Thank you Enga :) I plan on staying for a long time and I appreciate the welcome. If you need help with digging those holes, you just let me know ;) lol

 

It seems mine was dug before I got here :P

Well come on girl we better start now I think I see lights and pitchforks heading towards us! Oh shoot, too late.....activating ball maneuver!!!!!

 

*my bad, typo from previous post, holes:lol:

peppercorns Posted 30 May 2014 , 4:45am
post #12 of 19

A

Original message sent by MadiCake

It seems that your post popped up shortly after I posted about charging too little. Call me paranoid but I found it ironic.

I want to apologize to all you bakers that try to charge what SHOULD be charged for custom cakes, as they are art work...personalized art work and get flack because you charge correctly.

I think that a lot of home bakers tend to be "hobby bakers" and only charge for ingredients to make the cakes and like a lot of you mentioned, don't come out all that great because it is as aforementioned, hobby baking. ( Let me also state that I've seen hundreds of "hobby bakers" on here that are absolutely and absurdly amazing at what they do...you can make my next cake if you want :P)

My point here is that many people who try to start a home bakery business do not know how to price, myself included. I have asked for advice and help on these forums and usually I get a snooty answer about how I shouldn't be charging very much because I don't have the "experience". Come on now ladies...do you really need to pay $100 or more on a class that is going to teach you what you can find on the internet now-a-days? No thank you. Feel free to browse my cakes on my profile. I'm no wizard but I'm self-taught and I think I'm pretty decent.

Now next time someone asks for a little advice...why don't you pass out a compliment or two and help your fellow newbie? You all started in the same place and just because you've done it for years and now know the game, don't be a jerk to the people who come to YOU for advice. That should make you feel good, not stick your nose in the air. Lord help you if it started to rain.

Long story longer,...I apologize for being "one of those people" but I won't apologize for trying to be the best I can be and STILL have cake bitties looking down on me for trying.

“We do not merely destroy our enemies; we change them.”

― [URL=http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3706.George_Orwell][U][COLOR=0066CC]George Orwell[/COLOR][/U][/URL], [I][URL=http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/153313][U][COLOR=0066CC]1984[/COLOR][/U][/URL][/I]

hello Enga, wow! You nailed it, a few days ago I dared to join in price discussion, I got chewed up, spit on, and whack upside my head so many times, I'm still reeling from it. Even missed my breakfast and my favorite show. Sigh... Yes caking and **********ing is a hobby but no way I'll go into business, I'm already in the 25% tax bracket! I don't want to pay more.

enga Posted 30 May 2014 , 4:53am
post #13 of 19

hello Enga, wow! You nailed it, a few days ago I dared to join in price discussion, I got chewed up, spit on, and whack upside my head so many times, I'm still reeling from it. Even missed my breakfast and my favorite show. Sigh... Yes caking and **********ing is a hobby but no way I'll go into business, I'm already in the 25% tax bracket! I don't want to pay more.

 

Hi peppercorns that was MadiCakes who posted that but I truly agree with her. She's getting chewed up, spit on and smacked up side the head now, lol. They usually take turns punching me in the gut and giving me shots to the kidneys :P

peppercorns Posted 30 May 2014 , 5:01am
post #14 of 19

A

Original message sent by enga

[COLOR=404040]hello Enga, wow! You nailed it, a few days ago I dared to join in price discussion, I got chewed up, spit on, and whack upside my head so many times, I'm still reeling from it. Even missed my breakfast and my favorite show. Sigh... Yes caking and **********ing is a hobby but no way I'll go into business, I'm already in the 25% tax bracket! I don't want to pay more.[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=404040]Hi peppercorns that was MadiCakes who posted that but I truly agree with her. She's getting chewed up, spit on and smacked up side the head now, lol. They usually take turns punching me in the gut and giving me shots to the kidneys [/COLOR]:P [/B]

oh wow, I feel better already, my first laugh for the day, my husband looked at me like " what did I do now" thanks, you had been kind.

enga Posted 30 May 2014 , 5:10am
post #15 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by peppercorns 
 
 
oh wow, I feel better already, my first laugh for the day, my husband looked at me like " what did I do now" thanks, you had been kind.

I'm glad you had a good laugh, I know I did. These pricing threads get way to serious at times it was nice to see some humor injected into them. I hope you feel better and not take these matters to much to heart. There are so many other things going on in the world to get you down, cake pricing shouldn't be one of them.

enga Posted 30 May 2014 , 5:20am
post #16 of 19

Hang in there MadiCake ;-D

AZCouture Posted 30 May 2014 , 5:33am
post #17 of 19

AIs this a joke? What am I missing? Are you talking about some other thread? Who is chewing anyone up and smacking them around?

Nadiaa Posted 30 May 2014 , 5:49am
post #18 of 19

I'm totally lost too. I also went into MadiCakes profile and tried to find the other undercutting thread she's talking about. I can't find it. I don't think anyone on CC is really mean at all. People get irritated at times about answering the same thing over and over but this thread has got me very confused. :( 

SystemMod1 Posted 30 May 2014 , 5:59am
post #19 of 19

No.  This is a complete waste of time on Cake Central.  Deleted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%