How Much Would You Charge?

Business By ChrystysCreations Updated 29 May 2014 , 5:49pm by SystemMod1

ChrystysCreations Posted 28 May 2014 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted some feedback to see if I was under pricing this cake or if i was totally in my right to charge $215.00 for this cake along with the 5 cupcakes on the bottom.

The customer and I had been talking for about 30min and we agreed for a 6' and 8' tier Red Velvet cake with 5 cupcakes. It would be exactly like presented in the picture with fondant and the little tiara on top.

I was sure she had understood how much work this would be and how long the process would talk, but once I had said that the cake was $215.00 she quickly said, "Okay Bye" and left. I stood there shocked at her reaction. What did she want to spend $100.00? Is she out of her mind or was I overpricing?

I did my cake break down and I was convinced that I was under pricing.

What would you have charged?

Please Help!

Quickly Loosing My Mind!

8 replies
Norasmom Posted 29 May 2014 , 1:52am
post #2 of 9

I bet she was saying "Okay. bye" all day long that day…:D

Don't be shocked, it's common, some people don't understand what a cake costs.

TheItalianBaker Posted 29 May 2014 , 2:05am
post #3 of 9

AI would charge the same exactly price!

cai0311 Posted 29 May 2014 , 2:45am
post #4 of 9

AI would charge $190

Ellie Sunshine Posted 29 May 2014 , 6:07am
post #5 of 9

From a rough look i would charge around the same price, probably a little more. 

I'm in Australia and would not do a 2 tier cake of this size for under $200 (especially not with the crown detail!), the cupcakes would be approx $4.00 depending on if the client wanted the toppers.

Did she let you know a budget she had in mind at all?

It's such a shame people react like this because if she'd discussed with you a a little further i'm sure you could have come up with another option if price was an issue, maybe 1 tier and more cupcakes?

I agree with Norasmom though, it is common. 

cakebaby2 Posted 29 May 2014 , 8:57am
post #6 of 9

When I talk to a client the first thing I do is ask a budget (its not cakes I sell).I do this in a nice friendly way but it stops time wasting or embarrassment for the client. There is nothing worse than designing or suggesting something, seeing the enthusiasm on their faces and then the coup-de-grace when you talk money.

So next time someone asks the price of your cakes, smile sweetly and say "what is our budget for this creation".

810whitechoc Posted 29 May 2014 , 12:02pm
post #7 of 9

Establish their budget first, as Cakebaby says, do it in a nice friendly way, that way you are not wasting your time quoting on a cake that you are never going to get. Then burst their little bubble about how unrealistic they are, and in a friendly way come up with a simplified version of what they want that they can afford.  If they want that cake not matter what and wont pay your price they were never going to be your customer.  Time is money, establish their budget first so you don't waste yours.

ugcjill Posted 29 May 2014 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 9

I would price $190 also.

If you can, try to get their budget first, so you know you will be able to sell them what they can afford. Customers have stars in their eyes with the magic they see on tv.

It's just as frustrating on their end to find out what these things cost in the real world. If you know what they want and what they expect to pay, sometimes you can modify a design to fit their needs.

SystemMod1 Posted 29 May 2014 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you for your thread, pricing has been asked many times previous on the forums, please start here:

Then I encourage you to check the stickies at the top of the business forum for pricing matrixes as well as using the search function to read the thousands of other threads dedicated to pricing.

Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%