4 Inch Pan Issue

Decorating By hil86 Updated 2 Jun 2014 , 3:11am by hil86

hil86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hil86 Posted 28 May 2014 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 9

AI'm a hobby baker, baking a wedding cake for my aunt. I purchased a set of square pans the largest being 12 in. My problem is they are 4 inch deep pans. Rookie mistake to not notice the depth of the pans when buying them :/ I'm worried that my cake will not cook evenly in that deep of a pan! Would it turn out ok to fill the pans about half? Try to use it as a 2 inch pan? Or would it be best to buy some flower nails? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

8 replies
aprildaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprildaisy Posted 28 May 2014 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 9
hil86 Posted 28 May 2014 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 9

AOh geez! Should have checked the archives a little harder ;). Any downside to filling the pan about half to make a 2 inch? That's the method in leaning toward, seems less complicated.

aprildaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprildaisy Posted 28 May 2014 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 9

I don't see why there should be a down side to doing it only 2 inches...seems like that would work well.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 28 May 2014 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 9

My first thought is; anyway to return the pans?  If not what you can do is take a measuring cup and a 2" high pan, if you have any, and pour water into it to come up about 3/4 of the way. Keep track of how much was poured in and that is how much batter you will pour into the 4" pans.  No heating core or upside down flour nail.  Good Luck to you!!!  ;-D

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 29 May 2014 , 1:58am
post #6 of 9

AI always bake in 3" pans, but I only bake 2" layers. The come out nice and full and very level. I use a flower nail type heating core by At eco in every layer and bake at 325F.

hil86 Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 9

AI followed your advice and they came out great cakegrandma! Thank you!!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 12:10am
post #8 of 9

You're so welcome.  Did you return the pans or measure.

hil86 Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 3:11am
post #9 of 9

AMeasured! I bought the pans on sale, no return :/ they worked fine though

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%